Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Welcome To The "Loonie" Bin!

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 21,046Next Topic
Page: of 18
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
don't really collect Loonies. This is my only one.
I really like it. I suppose if you could only have one, that would be the one to have.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15670 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  3:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15670 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I AM quite happy with the "Bird Series" though. I find them all beautiful. I got the 2004 'Elusive Loon' in the mail today, which should complete (as of 2018) the set, but now I have to do some research.
The "Bird Series" is supposed to be a run from the yearly specimen sets, but I had the Elusive Loon also in the specimen run. However, the paperwork that came with the coin today says it's a PROOF loon. I'll have to check my Charlton books before I do upstairs to bed.

Quote:
This post is teaching me already. Atticguy, I always thought the Elusive Loon was Specimen as well. Nope, grabbed mine to look, and it is Proof for sure. I don't think they came in Specimen now. Good hit there.. My Charlton from 2016 has them listed as both. Pg 115/116 as Specimen, pg 125 as PR-67. Same mintage. Just an error in Charlton on the Specimen side because it's thought to be in the bird series, hence Specimen. Nope proof for sure, my Queen is frosty. Thanks. .

JimmyD, here is the quotes. Basically, is it specimen or proof, and I think we got it straight, especially when you posted yours as proof as well. It is a really nice loonie.. I may end up saying that a lot here..

Dorado, thanks for the links, and the picture of the 1st issued loon. Don't get them in that shape anymore in change..

"We are poor little lambs...who have lost our way...Baa...Baa...Baa"

In memory of those members who left us too soon...
In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
Pillar of the Community
Canada
8067 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Elusive Loon only came as part of the Wildlife Coin & Stamp Sets
which were Proof Finish.
It was never issued in Specimen Finish as part of the bird series.
Just another mistake in Charltons.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just another mistake in Charltons.

If they got it perfect the way collector scrutinize them, it would be amazing.

Next question out of the blue.

Do you have a favorite loonie, and why? .

I have too many. Here's 3.

2002 (1952) - The reverse is so clean without the date, old effigy, and double date plus low mintage.

2004 Olympic - 1st Olympic loon, shrunk and lowered the loon, and added more waterlines to the bottom of the coin. It finally looks like the loon is on a real lake, instead of a canal. Olympic flame and rings. Oh yea. .

2002 Centre Ice Loon. Gold plated, two loons on the reverse, and a story that can't be beat. .

Oh, and my Avatar too. The only coin haven't ever put away.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15670 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Dorado, thanks for the links, and the picture of the 1st issued loon. Don't get them in that shape anymore in change..

I remember
I bought a roll of 25 coins for $ 25.00 at the bank in 1987.

Check this out:
https://www.monnaiecanada.com/en/roll/dollar
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice...So... do you have a few spares? .

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15670 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ loonielewy

Quote:
Very nice...So... do you have a few spares?

Yes I do...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2252 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi my name is Don and I'm a Loonie Lover. I have all
the Silver Olympic Loonies, I'm now into the Special Baby
Loonies which can get pretty expensive. Here is a pic of
some Double Date Anniversary Loonies and a Commem 1 Ounce.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing SilverDon. Really like that 2017. Still need the 97 too. Nice layout with the silver clad 2012 packaging staying intact and the rest around it. . Still need the 2010 and 2016 Olympics ones.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
524 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2018  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These were taken from the Montreal Canadian set, I was a little surprised of there quality.
Valued Member
Canada
370 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add barriecarson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "loonie" is the main focus of my collection.

Only two coins are missing from what I consider a complete collection:

- 2017 two coin set of 30th anniversary of the loonie, 30mm gold coin.
- 2018 10oz. coin, mintage of 101 (I think)

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
657 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These were taken from the Montreal Canadian set, I was a little surprised of there quality.

chadcoins, I hope you mean in a good way.

Quote:
The "loonie" is the main focus of my collection.

Quote:
Only two coins are missing from what I consider a complete collection:

barriecarson, Wow! That is impressive. Does your complete collection include all the bird series, birthday, baby, wedding etc? It sounds like it may. Good luck with your last 2 coins.

I'm pretty disappointed that there was no 2018 Lucky Loonie, circulation or silver. Why stop after 12 years of support? Anyone else feel this way?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
524 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
loonielewy - It looks like the Montreal set was made up with MS strikes then gold plated and painted. I kinda expected better,so a MS66-MS67 would make those coins Gems if they exist.

A complete loonie collection is very impressive series. I have seen a near complete display at a coin show once. I'm not far from being complete myself.
Page: of 18 Previous TopicReplies: 267 / Views: 21,046Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05