Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Michael S. Gasvoda Purchases Classical Numismatic Group

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  11:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone know this guy? Any potential impact to the hobby?

From today's News from CNG email:

Michael S. Gasvoda Purchases Classical Numismatic Group
LANCASTER, PA-Classical Numismatic Group, Inc. of Lancaster, Pennsylvania and London, England, is pleased to announce that longtime ancient coin collector and hobby leader Michael "Mike" S. Gasvoda has purchased the assets of the company from the current partnership of Victor England and Eric J. McFadden. England and McFadden will continue as Senior Directors for the new company, with Gasvoda taking on a supervisory role as Managing Director of the firm, which will be renamed Classical Numismatic Group, LLC.

The official transition will take place on November 1st, 2018, but other than the change of ownership, all other facets of the operation will continue as usual. The firm's entire staff will continue at the company's offices in Lancaster and London. Formed in 1990, CNG is a leading dealer in ancient, medieval, world, and British coinages. The company's coin shop, book offerings, and current auctions are all available on their website at http://www.cNGCoins.com.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1952 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also saw this in my inbox.

I can't comment. WHat's in the press release sure sounds positive (but he probably wrote it).
Pillar of the Community
United States
2987 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would doubt that someone would buy a well established "house" like CNG and want to change anything very much
The fact that the management remains the same would seem to reflect that attitude
After 30 years building a successful enterprise the owners probably felt it best to enjoy more of the fruits of their labors
You can't take it with you !

Although the idea of carrying a few sestertii has crossed my mind now and then
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, FR, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. We commence with the latest chapter in a long history (for anyone who is interested): https://www.coinsweekly.com/en/40-Y...p/4?&id=3647

Valued Member
United States
446 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  10:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are an outstanding company and an asset to the hobby. I hope they stay that way.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1952 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link BobL. I have always wondered how an auction house wound up with offices in London and bucolic Lancaster County, PA.
Edited by tdziemia
08/19/2018 08:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4197 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, the synopsis at Coinsweekly is a good one. Published in 2015 but I only discovered it earlier this year. Had it bookmarked since.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05