Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1818 cent rotated reverse question

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  04:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently acquired an example of this coin in roughly ms20 - 25 condition with the reverse rotated more than 60 degrees but less than 90 degrees (about 75 degrees). I am trying to ascertain the relative rarity of this coin and an approximate value. Can anyone assist me here?

Any assistance is appreciated...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
23991 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and members will chime in. Can you post pics? Are you flipping the coin from 6 to 12 or 3 to 9?If you put it in a 2x2 with one staple at the 6k position and then take a pic and post it might also help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 09rich15 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rotated die strikes in that time period are fairly common.
These common ones are usually found between 5 and 20% off-center and will have a minor attraction to error collectors. However, a coin with a 75% rotation will surely grab their attention and add a little more value to the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8417 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@poppaman3, first welcome to CCF. Second, I agree that adding pics of your coin would be useful. Also, I'm confused about your use of this terminology:

Quote:
ms20 - 25

as the MS means mint state. Do you mean VF20-25 perhaps?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14445 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1818 N 1, 3, and 7 all come with and without rotated reverses, N-3 I know comes with varying amounts of rotation, not sure about the others or if the other varieties may come with rotations as well.
Gary Schmidt
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your replies... Pics will be posted shortly. When "flipped" top to bottom I am aware that the coin reverse should appear upright: it is rotated clockwise about 80 reg. as previously mentioned.

Apologies for use of term "ms20": I hesitate to use "F", "VF" or the like as I'm unsure where one ends and the other begins... On the 70 point scale, it is about a 20 - 25.

Again, thanks for assistance and responses; pics to follow...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3106 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Google for "Sheldon Scale" you will find the right breakpoint.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Attempting to attach images as promised...

Note the position of the black stripe / tape wtbedge of image (could not save rotated image - working from an android phone)...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1297 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That doesn't really look like a large amount of rotation, especially for those early cents.

KK
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KK... Sorry, but I could not get both pics oriented properly (technical limitations...). The reverse image is actually 90 deg. rotated (note the black tape at top of obverse pic and same black tape at left edge of reverse pic. I will need to take new pics, as I still cannot get the reverse orientation to work/display properly...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you prop the coin in front of a mirror and get a picture of both sides (with reasonable focus and decent lighting)?
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you prop the coin in front of a mirror and get a picture of both sides (with reasonable focus and decent lighting)?

Try that. It will work. I would take Alpha2814's advice.
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
6111 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2018  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All... First, thanks for all your efforts and suggestions; I really do appreciate them.

My efforts to obtain a useful image using a mirror have been unsuccessful.

I have taken new photos with proper orientation - note position of staple in these two pics - if this helps, please let me know your thoughts

Thanks again,

PaulR.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12837 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  02:14 am  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks pretty rotated! It's a good one too! It looks like it rotated 93 degrees counterclockwise. Once the die rotates to 90 degrees or more, it's considered collectable by coin collectors.
Errers and Varietys
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2018  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add poppaman3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Noted and thanks for the affirmation. Anyone have any thoughts as to value? As stated before, my estimation is that it is about a 20 - 25 grade coin and valued (without rotation) at about USD 75.00 - USD 100.00. What premium would this rotation put on it?

Thanks for all your assistance.....
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05