Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need help figuring out what this Geometric Triangle is from on my Morgan

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  3:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Balin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've looked everywhere and researched online, but I can't figure out what this cool geometric triangle is from on my 1889 Morgan. You can visibly see it from pretty far. I inherited some coins from my grandfather who was in the Navy. Any help would be appreciated!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be a "chop mark" what oriental moneyers/bankers would stamp on to certify coin is silver and worthy of exchange? Or it is Just a counter-stamp of some obscure meaning as "the Broken A Ranch"?

Or it could be...aliens.....
Edited by Crazyb0
08/28/2018 4:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13963 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like some type of counterstamp. It's Post Strike Damage (it happened after it left the U.S. Mint).
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Learn More...
United States
63364 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kurrency Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the lines incused, cut into the coin. They almost looked raised?

KK
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Brick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My answer may be a little out there but it might be a variation of the Anarchy symbol. Typically and A with a Circle O around it, this looks to me more like the A for Anarchy with the V for Vendetta.

There was even some "Anarchy" coins in England minted around the mid-1100s. But, the contemporary symbolism has no relation.

Anyway, that's my take.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Balin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KK, They look raised. Here is a close up

Pillar of the Community
United States
3938 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Adam_E's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's damaged for sure, the raised metal is displaced from whatever gouged it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5449 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a counterstamp as it is raised.
A counterstamp would be incuse.
As Adam stated, looks like someone has cut into
the coin. Must have some significant meaning to somebody.
In any case, it is PMD which will devaluate the coin.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Balin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the input so far. I appreciate everyone taking time to reply with their thought as to what this Mark is or might be from. As I welcome any and all input, I understand that the majority of the community here considers it "damage" from a collector's view, and I respect that, but please going forward, if you have the same thoughts, please and respectfully refrain from repeating others. I'm looking to try and find out what this beautiful, unique (because it sounds like no one has seen it before) marking is from. Definitely my favorite coin in the bunch : )
Pillar of the Community
United States
1543 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aristarchus123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might qualify as graffiti (in the numismatic sense) if the marks are intended to exhibit the letter "A". Fun coin to inherit! There must be a story somewhere.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bored math student with a Morgan dollar? :P

"I bet I can calculate the angle between the chin and midline of the bust and then get the length of the opposite leg of the triangle with the Pythagorean theorem..."

Maybe it's also a prototype drawing for a device designed to keep your head from hitting the desk while sleeping through math class...an A-frame laid over on its leftmost side. Might be a bit uncomfortable, but it would work...

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2018  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Balin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paraly(z)e, Very funny.
Learn More...
Australia
12955 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given that it lines up perfectly with the artwork (that is, the side strokes of the "A" stop exactly at the chin and neck-line of the portrait) I would assume that it is someone's effort at "improving" the portrait, rather than merely carving a letter "A". It reminds me of the POW "trench art" coins from the Boer War, where bored prisoners carved new details onto coins to give President Kruger a top hat and pipe, or Queen Victoria a shawl. Perhaps they were trying to make it look like Ms Liberty was wearing a high starched collar?

Is there something else scratched onto the coin in between the eye and the "E"?
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Balin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sap, here are a few more pictures. Yes, and alnost looks like some triangles above eye too

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5449 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2018  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is the MM on your Morgan.
Hope someone didn't damage an expensive coin.
Those triangles above the eye are from taking a hit.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Edited by JimmyD
08/29/2018 5:38 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05