Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Depicting Places!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 545 / Views: 27,122Next Topic
Page: of 37
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  11:09 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome history and write up as per usual Commems.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Old Lynchburg Courthouse is featured on the 1936 Lynchburg, VA Sesquicentennial commemorative half dollar.
Excellent!

Quote:
Ocean City, New Jersey counter stamped LMC...
Very interesting!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2021  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chafemasterj: Thanks much for the kind feedback. Much appreciated!

@jbuck: Of course, "Thank You!" for your continued support and positive feedback (no matter where I hide my posts!)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Thank You!" for your continued support and positive feedback (no matter where I hide my posts!)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Up for discussion this time around is the 1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial half dollar. It was issued to commemorate "the sesquicentennial anniversary of the founding of the capital of South Carolina at Columbia, South Carolina." )From Public Law 74-476, the legislation that authorized the coin.)

There are two official-looking buildings depicted in the background on the obverse of the Columbia, SC half dollar; the goddess Justice, holding a scale, is the central figure of the design. The building on the left (viewer's perspective) is often described as the SC State House (i.e., Capitol Building) of 1786, with the building on the right as the SC State House of 1936. While the description is accurate for 1936, it is not for 1786.

In 1786, the SC State House was still in Charleston, SC. The SC General Assembly (GA) had voted to move the State Capital from Charleston to Columbia in 1786, but did not immediately occupy a building in the new city as one needed to be constructed (and the newly-created city laid out). The first State House, in Charleston, was destroyed by fire in 1788. The building in Columbia was not used for a meeting of the SC General Assembly until 1790. So, though the GA voted to move the capital in 1786, it did not occupy the building shown on the coin until four years later (1790).

Second South Carolina State House, First in New Capital City of Columbia (1790)

Image Credit: A View of South Carolina, as Respects Her Natural and Civil Concerns, John Drayton, published in 1802, Public Domain.

With its current State House building rapidly deteriorating and getting more and more expensive to repair, the SC General Assembly voted to construct a new/third State House in 1852. Construction began shortly thereafter but experienced trouble almost from the start due to issues with the architect in charge of the project. Construction began a more successful arc in 1855 when John R. Niernsee of Baltimore took over, but it was halted during the US Civil War. Though its exterior walls were almost complete, the building did not have a roof and its interior was essentially unfinished.

The old State House (1790 version) was burned down, as was much of Columbia, under orders from Union General Walter Tecumseh Sherman on February 17, 1865. The new State House building that was under construction went largely undamaged, but the same couldn't be said for much of the building's construction materials. While temporary finishes were completed to enable the Assembly to meet, It took decades, and multiple architects/construction managers, for the building to be completed; it was finished in 1903.

Third (and Current) South Carolina State House, (1960)

Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. Public Domain.

1936 Columbia, SC Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

You can read more details about the Columbia, SC half dollar, its original holder and various related ephemera by checking out:

- 1936 Columbia, SC
- 1936 Columbia, SC - Ephemera
- 1936 Columbia, SC - Ephemera #2
- 1936 Columbia, SC - "Cousin"

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
03/05/2021 10:12 am
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2021  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice!

I lived in Columbia for a year (freshman year in high school). Spent a lot of time at Sesquicentennial State Park, across the street from my neighbourhood. Because of this personal connection I considered acquiring one for my 7070, but never found an affordable and raw example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of the last issues of the US classic commemorative coin series, the 1946 Iowa Statehood half dollar.

The coin was issued to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Iowa's admission to the Union as the 29th state on December 27, 1846. On its reverse. the coin depicts the Old Stone Capitol building that served as the last Capitol building of the Iowa Territory and the first of the State of Iowa. The building is located in Iowa City, IA vs. Des Moine, the current capital of Iowa; John Francis Rague was the architect for the building (he was also the architect for the Illinois Capitol in Springfield, IL.)

Construction on the building began in 1840 with the laying of its cornerstone on July 4th; construction was completed in 1842. The Stone Capitol was built with Iowa limestone.

The Old Stone Capitol served as the seat of government for the Iowa Territory beginning in 1842 and continued in that role after the Territory became a state; it housed the Iowa Government through late 1857, at which time the state's capital (and Capitol!) was moved to Des Moines.

Following the 1857 relocation of the Iowa Government from Iowa City to Des Moines, the Old Stone Capitol was given to the University of Iowa which used it for classrooms and offices. Today, after major renovations in the 1970s and a restoration after a fire in 2001, the building remains in use as the Old Capitol Museum on the campus of the University; it is listed on the register of National Historic Landmarks.

Old Stone Capitol in Iowa City, IA

Image Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division. Public Domain.

1946 Iowa Statehood Centennial Half Dollar

You can learn more about the Iow half dollar here: 1946 Iowas Statehood Centennial.

More of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be accessed here: Read More: Commems Collection

Edited by commems
03/06/2021 08:59 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2021  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I lived in Columbia for a year (freshman year in high school). Spent a lot of time at Sesquicentennial State Park, across the street from my neighbourhood. Because of this personal connection I considered acquiring one for my 7070, but never found an affordable and raw example.

That's too bad. Do you still look or have you filled the space with another commemorative half dollar?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2021  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1925, the centennial of the establishment of Fort Vancouver in the Oregon Territory (in present-day State of Washington) by the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) was commemorated with a half dollar sponsored by the Vancouver Centennial Corporation.

The fort was built in 1825 to serve as the HQ for the company's fur trade operations throughout the region. Dr. John McLoughlin, the man whose portrait is featured on the obverse of the coin, established the fort and served as the HBC Chief Factor (manager) until he retired in 1846.

Fort Vancouver is presented in the background of the reverse of the coin, behind a fur trapper holding a rifle. Designs for the coin were originally sketched by John Urquhart; the sketches were modeled by Sydney Bell. After the models were rejected by the Commission of Fine Arts (CFA), Laura Gardin Fraser was called in to refine and finish them. Neither Urquhart, nor Bell nor Fraser could visit the fort in Washington as a reference, however, as it was, unfortunately, destroyed in a fire in 1866. They had to use available photographs and/or drawings for their designs.

What is seen by visitors today is a reconstruction of the fort. The reconstruction effort began back in the 1960s, with the new fort being built on the footprint of the old; the footprint was determined from archaeological excavations on the site conducted from 1947 to 1952. I visited the site 8 or 10 years ago and walked through the reconstruction and all of its available (reconstructed) interior buildings. It was an interesting walk through a different time and past history. I don't recall cannons in the bastion, however!

Fort Vancouver with One of its Outlying Gardens in the Foreground

The Octagonal Northwest Corner Bastion of Fort Vancouver

The bastion was added to the Fort in 1845, with its octagonal cap holding eight three-pound guns. Though the bastion's construction was spurred by potential security concerns, the guns it housed were used, ultimately, only for ceremonial purposes.

1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial Half Dollar

For more about the coin, check out 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial and 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial - Redux.

Edited by commems
03/07/2021 12:16 pm
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's one of the last issues of the US classic commemorative coin series, the 1946 Iowa Statehood half dollar.
Excellent!

Quote:
That's too bad. Do you still look or have you filled the space with another commemorative half dollar?
That final hole was filled with the Monroe Doctrine half dollar. I am pretty sure you were at that show (Greenville, October 2014) and you were able to see it.

I have continued looking out for the Cola half dollar. It is a broader search now that I do not mind buying a graded example.
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Acquired the mate for my previously posted representative of the The US Army Command and General Staff College.

2013-P 5 Star Generals Proof

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2021  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1922, the US Mint struck silver half dollar and gold $1.00 coins to commemorate "the centenary of the birth of General Ulysses S. Grant, late President of the United States." (Public Law 67-137)

The coins feature a portrait of Grant on their obverse and a depiction of Grant's birthplace on their reverse. Contrary to the several web sites that sell modern log cabins, Ulysses S. Grant was not one of the seven US Presidents to be born in a log cabin. He was born in a small. two-room clapboard house in Point Pleasant, OH on April 27, 1822.

Ulysses S. Grant Birthplace, Point Plesant, OH

Image Credit: James Grant Wilson, ed., The Presidents of the United States, 1789-1914, v. 3. Published in 1914. Public Domain.

Grant did not live in the house for very long, however. He was just one year old when his father moved the family to a larger house in Georgetown, OH in 1823. He lived in Georgetown until leaving for the West Point Academy in 1839.

The house still stands; it has been restored and opened as a museum.

1922 Ulysses S. Grant Half Dollar, with Star Variety

You can find my previous posts about the Grant coins, here:

- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Half Dollar, Plain Variety
- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Half Dollar, with Star Variety
- 1922 Grant Memorial "Cousin"
- 1922 Grant Birth Centenary Coins - Beards.

Other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals can be found here: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
03/11/2021 08:26 am
Learn More...
United States
97760 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2021  08:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1916-17 William McKinley Birthplace Memorial Gold $1.00 coins were sponsored by the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Association ("Association"). The Association was incorporated by the US Congress on March 4, 1911.

The Association was created to perpetuate the memory of William McKinley with its primary objective being the construction of a suitable memorial in Niles, Ohio, McKinley's birthplace.

(Note: The Birthplace Memorial in Niles, OH should not be confused with the William McKinley National Memorial in Canton, OH. The latter was sponsored by a different group and serves as McKinley's final resting place vs. a memorial to his birthplace.)

To help raise funds for its construction project and overall mission, the Association proposed a commemorative coin, via its local Representative, in the US Congress. The bill was considered favorably, and the legislation authorizing the gold $1.00 coin was approved on February 23, 1916. The coin was struck (and dated) in 1916 and 1917; the same design was used in each year, the only difference being the date.

Today the Birthplace Memorial includes a museum, public library, meeting space and a open-air Court of Honor in which a statue of William McKinley stands.

William McKinley Birthplace Memorial - Front - View

(Image source: The National McKinley Birthplace Memorial, Erected by the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Association. Booklet published in 1918. Public Domain.)

William McKinley Birthplace Memorial - Court of Honor View

(Image source: The National McKinley Birthplace Memorial, Erected by the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial Association. Booklet published in 1918. Public Domain.)

1916 McKinley Birthplace Memorial Gold Dollar

To read more about the 1916-17 McKinley gold dollar coins, check out: 1916-17 McKinley Birthplace Memorial

To access other of my posts about US commemorative coins and medals, see: Read More: Commems Collection.

Edited by commems
03/14/2021 1:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5493 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2021  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
San Diego, CA was host to the 1935-36 California Pacific International Exposition; the exposition was open in 1935 from May 29th through November 11th and again in 1936 from February 12th through September 9th. The Exposition was staged to boost San Diego's local economy vs. in celebration/commemoration of a milestone event.

The exposition was held in Balboa Park, the site of the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition and made use of multiple buildings that remained from that fair - plus new construction. The reverse of the commemorative half dollar struck for the Exposition features two of the more iconic buildings to be found in the Park. Seen are the California Tower and the dome of the Chapel of St. Francis with the top of the Entrance Portal to the Tower area seen in the foreground.

The coin was designed by Robert Aitken; it was struck at the San Francisco Branch Mint in 1935, with additional coins struck at the Denver Branch Mint in 1936.

Entrance Portal - California Tower and Chapel of St. Francis, Balboa Park

1935-S California-Pacific International Exposition Half Dollar

You can learn more about the coin here: 1935-S California-Pacific International Exposition and here: 1935 California-Pacific - Original Holder.

You can read other of my posts about commemorative coins and medals here: Read More: Commems Collection

Page: of 37 Previous TopicReplies: 545 / Views: 27,122Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05