Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Whitman Vs Dansco Albums

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...

United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  8:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are Dansco albums better, in any practical way, than Whitman? Was wondering if it is worth giving Dansco a try.

Thanks

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
4475 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a mixture of both in my collection. I favor the Dansco's. I think they look more professional and are better made them the Whitman's.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nutmeg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have both and like the Dansco a little better.
Whitman makes a good product also.
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first switched from folders to albums, I tried out a couple Whitman albums, but some of the coins they included or excluded in the set didn't really fit my collection. The Dansco albums fit better with my collection. Be careful switching album types, presently my Dansco albums do not go past 2021-2025.
EDIT - corrected date range
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personal preferences. Price is a factor with me, I put my money in the coins, not the cardboard. I had started with Whitman's so just continued for all my sets.

Dansco are a bit more expensive but do have a "lighter" look because of light tan pages. You do have to be careful to keep your hands clean tho, they get dirty and show it easily.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/03/2018 10:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started with Whitman's and switch to Dansco. I don't like the harsh blue contrasting with the coins.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11864 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we have had discussions on this topic many times on this forum ,and many times I've said I have been using Whitman albums since the mid 60's . Never any problems .
So I think I've answered you question . I can't knock Dansco because I never used them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
29 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stewillard to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay then, I'm convinced it's only about personal preference.

Enough said! Thank you all.
Edited by Stewillard
09/03/2018 11:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10112 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and yes, it's pretty much personal preference.

There are other things to consider as well. For instance Danscos have optional slip covers while Whitman Classics do not.

Like some others, I have a mixture of both in my collection. Personally I prefer the blue of the Whitmans, as well as the font.
Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree it really comes down to personal preference and what you are used to having. I prefer Dansco because my grandfather bought the first two for me on the recommendation of his buddy at the LCS. It could just as well been Whitman. Since then I have stuck to what I know and like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer Dansco. To me they seem like they are just better made. But it's really personal preference.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18665 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look up coin Albums with Google, you would find many different brands available. I use several different ones. The reason is I get them free. At coin shows I ask dealers what they do with Albums they get when they buy collections and most say throw them out. So I ask if they don't mind just bring to the next show and give them to me. Some do that and I end up with several different brands but so what, free.
As to the differences with Dansco and Whitman.
1. Dansco looks like an expensive book but people just hide them away.
2. Dansco almost always has unnecessary slots at the end with no usage.
3. Dansco is made in he USA and Whitman is made in China.
4. Copper coins sort of get lost in an Album of similar color like Dansco.
5. Both are easily obtainable at most hobby or coin stores. But try to get new plastic slides for either one.
6. Dansco is more expensive than almost all other brands.
7. Whitman has slots at the end of the page so you can easily grab the plastic slides. Dansco does not so you have to try to slide the slides by pressing on them and that is usually against a coin.
8.Most people say Dansco is made better but that is just Dansco people talking.
9. Dansco Albums are a bit taller than Whitman.
10. Many Whitman Album covers are large enough to add many more pages.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4475 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3. Dansco is made in he USA and Whitman is made in China.

This always disturbed me. Is Dansco still manufactured here in the States?.....I don't know.

Dansco Corporation
(323) 734-6373
4313 W Jefferson Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90016

Learn More...
United States
78501 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This always disturbed me. Is Dansco still manufactured here in the States?.....I don't know.
Yes. Look at the aerial view. That building is plenty big.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1367 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck...I don't know what is going on with Dansco. At the last few shows I went to there were few new dansco's for sale and even the used ones were creeping up in price. At the CONA show this last weekend ( which is the major show in Ohio) there were NO new Dansco's for sale, and no empty used ones. The dealers I talked to said they have been having trouble getting orders filled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4475 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2018  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That building is plenty big.

That doesn't indicate anything.

Quote:
I don't know what is going on with Dansco.

There is something diffidently going on with that company. The building itself doesn't show prosperity. Either it's a bad neighborhood, with bars on the doors and windows or the building is shutdown and vacant. Although the loading dock area around back seems to show active.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05