Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 LWC no D fake, maybe some 1909-S IH fakes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  08:26 am Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just saw this 1922 no D on one-day auction on eBay coming up in a few hours. Doesn't match any known no D die that I know of (plus coin has nicks all over it except right where the D would have been polished off) so I looked at other things he has sold recently. Sold an entire string of 1909-S Indian heads all from the same die in exactly the same fake-looking condition (note the die marker above the E in CENT and inside the top of the N of CENT). Also recently sold a 1922 no D for over a thousand bucks that does not match the strong reverse as the L is not against the rim. Might be something there for the experts to look into.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/lachi-11/m...047675.l2562
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4659 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tropicalbats-
Would you please post the 12 digit ID number.
Thanks
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Took me a while to figure out where that tiny little number is: 223141138723
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28246 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look right to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4659 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me it does look like an altered 1922 no D cent.
The strike is not weak enough to be genuine as the no D was created from an over polished die.
Too late to report it but we can keep an eye on this seller for future listings.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Edited by JimmyD
09/12/2018 11:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:23 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you look at all those 1909-S Indian heads in his sold listings? They look even worse than the 22-D, but I am by no means an expert on fakes just a casual collector of them when I can buy them actually as fakes.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14338 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even a MS 22 plain doesn't have that much detail on the obv.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with JimmyD on this one. It's an altered 1933 no D cent.
Errers and Varietys
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05