Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ID: Odd tiny little barbarous radiate, Victorinus perhaps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7054 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  8:10 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This was thrown in as a bonus coin with a recent purchase. I feel fairly confident it's a barbarous imitative issue.

Tiny little AE coin -- just over 11mm and 1.0-1.1 grams.

Obverse features an exaggerated radiate bust right with a clear legend of "VICTORINS" above, possibly an "A" after the S, all under a dotted circular border.

Reverse is odd, "INVI" or "INVVI" on the left of what appears to be a figure standing, a stick-figure style right arm extended above a cross or +. I suppose the legend could be a take on INVICTUS.

It has a nice glossy patina suggesting it didn't see much wear. I had to use my scanner because I don't have a coin-stand this small...

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5114 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool! It's especually tough to find a literate barb at this size.

I'm tempted to say the reverse is a garbled PAX. I have a number of coins with a literate obverse legend, but a reverse legend of all I's or squiggly lines.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7054 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pax is a definite possibility. From what I can tell it looks like the only letters on the rev. are "I" and "V" and the odd cross or + sign in the left field. But the obv. "VICTORINS" is clear as a bell!!

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pax occurred to me also. In later stages of imitation, the X of PAX often remains prominent after other design elements have disintegrated. But is it really an X? I think I have a more likely prototype:

Edited by Kushanshah
09/13/2018 9:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7054 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed, I think you nailed it, KS, with Invictus / Sol walking left with a whip and a star, not a cross. RIC V.2 114.

The real deal doesn't look like an overly common coin, and it's a less common emperor, so that makes it even more surprising that it ended up being copied, apparently by Gauls!
I found a similar example (on a larger 16mm flan but without legible inscriptions) listed as having been part of a French hoard, and dating it from 274-280 AD (after Victorinus' reign?)

Oddly, average prices that I can find for this particular "bonus barbaric" are more than I paid for the entire lot...go figure.

Edited by paralyse
09/13/2018 10:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, your coin was most likely produced in Britain or Gaul. Minting of the "barbarous radiates" began in the 260s and kicked into high gear during the reign of the Tetrici. The illicit mints disappeared, on the continent at least, after the introduction of Aurelian's reformed coinage in 275. In Britain, lawlessness and illicit minting seem to have continued a bit longer, perhaps until the arrival of Carinus who is believed to have campaigned on the island in 283. I used to collect barbarous radiates. I still find it all quite interesting.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/13/2018 11:38 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05