Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1998 P Lincoln Memorial Cent With Small Cud? (It's Raised)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  1:07 pm Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in a circulated bankroll, from a bank box of U.S. Pennies. I looked at the edge, and it's not damaged from pushed in metal. It's not a Gas Bubble etheir. It's raised. I took side shot picture, so you can see that it's raised. What do you think guys? I'm debating this one, and you can too! Any help would be appreciated.

Errers and Varietys
Edited by Errers and Varietys
09/16/2018 2:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think that's called an indent isn't it? Something hit the edge of the field level inside the rim offset.

The major difference David is it doesn't affect the rim in any way.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/16/2018 3:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Crazyb0, it might be a Die Dent possibly?
Errers and Varietys
Pillar of the Community
United States
9924 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See the diagram, left side arrow to center? It is called an indent because of location. A Die Dent is just a depression anywhere on the die surface, including this as well, call it what you will, for sake of location, I'd prefer "indent", because something horizontally "indented" it there, possibly the moving feeders, or another part. But the damage is sideways, not vertical/angled from die face.

You can tell because this indent is lower than the rim top of the coin.

Also, your first pix shows a slight nick on the rim offset too, this is caused by the same thing , sideways motion into the die.
Edited by Crazyb0
09/16/2018 4:25 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12032 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2018  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh okay, I get it now. Thank you for explaining it to me! I'll keep it and label it "1998 P LMC with indentation on lower rim".
Errers and Varietys
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05