Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ultimate Coin Tongs - For Me At Least - Think Reptile!

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  05:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use a shot glass for dipping coins in acetone. It's easy to get the coin out. I have a pair of metal tweezers with electrical heat shrink tubing on he ends for this task. Most times I can use the tweezers to move the coin up the side and the coin lays over on the tweezers. No need to actually grab the coin. I also pour the acetone back into another jar incase I want to use it agsin for my circulated coins. My best coins get new acetone. My Roll finds get recycled acetone. Coins with PVC residue -acetone is discarded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
581 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earl42

I like the baby food jars with lid idea.
But anything removed from one coin will remain in the acetone "solution".
So the only thing I can think to add would be to add a final rinse in new/clean acetone to make sure nothing is transferred from one soaked coin to another by reusing the acetone. Then add this small amount of "final rinse" to the soaking jar.

Good ideas all the way around. Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Lionel
{quote]I have a pair of metal tweezers with electrical heat shrink tubing on he ends for this task.[/quote]
I am glad you mentioned this - just yesterday afternoon I was wondering if heat shrink applied to the metal ones I mentioned before would react with acetone or not.

@Petespockets:
First, I see you are fairly new so

I totally agree with you that anything from one coin will remain in the acetone. I did not go into details, but I do what Lionel said he does - the best are given fresh acetone.

However, for the volume of acetone I am putting into the baby food jar, and the microscopic amount of whatever the acetone removes, I generally use the same acetone for awhile or until I dip a really bad coin. For the last 5-6 years I have had no adverse affects I have noticed when re-inspecting the 2X2s, and I have done a lot of coins.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  4:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like fingerprints on my coins (especially when they are mine) so I do a quick dip for all my shiny pennies and nicer nickels that I get out of rolls. I don't bother with brown pennies and well circulated nickels. My wife says she's going to run them through the coinstar machine when I'm gone anyway so why clean them now. The next collector can clean them. But when I find something nice I give it a good soak and inspection.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11593 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good practice if you don't mind going through a lot of acetone .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05