Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is there a way to restore the dates of worn SLQ's?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  9:34 pm Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a way to restore the dates of worn SLQ's? I've got one that's slick as can be but under the right light looks like the upper loop of a 1919-D. Let me know here's a pic of OBV.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14096 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure, but I heard that there's a trick, where you can raise the date on Buffalo nickels.
Errers and Varietys.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
1988 P LMC RDV-006, 1998 P LMC Wide AM, and 2000 P LMC Wide AM. http://goccf.com/t/327834 http://goccf.com/t/294303 http://goccf.com/t/312900
1973 D Lincoln Memorial cent With Recurring Die Subsidence Error Information. http://goccf.com/t/304624
Machine Doubling tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like E&V said, you can restore nickel dates various ways. But, that is because of the composition of the metal. When you put nic-a-date on a nickel for example, it is actually an acid that eats away some of the metal. It will eat the parts of the coin that were struck lightly first, leaving the heavier struck parts(ie; the date). I don't think this is possible on silver coins because of silver doesn't react that way. I do wish it was however because it would make hole filling those hard to get dates much easier!
Lincoln cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Washington quarters - 19 holes /
Kennedy halves - 10 Holes / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes
Work in progress - Barber/SLQ combined / Indian Head cents / 7070

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trick I heard works on some if not worn down too much. Take soot outta your car tailpipe and rub on the area. It may sometimes do a vague outline if looked at angled right. It worked on one, BT that had a hint of upper numbers, most seem too worn. Then there's the Types of reverses.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Check XavierOfGreen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add XavierOfGreen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a method people have used with a silver etchant similar to how people restore Buffalo nickel dates, but the chemicals you would need to use are very dangerous and the results are not very appealing to the eye
Oldest Found-------
Cent: 1842 (from machine) ---- Three Cent: 1866 [Nickel] (from machine)
Nickel: 1883 (from roll) ---- Dime: 1911 (from roll)
Quarter: 1932 (from machine) ---- Half: 1917 (from roll)
Dollar: 1880 (from machine) ---- Foreign: 1863 (from machine)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  06:58 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hm... well dangerous chemicals don't sound the best course of action. I tried the rev/obv types but since the collar is worn you can't tell if OBV-02 or OBV-03. OBV-02 means that it would be a key date. I don't know about the soot idea, never tried it.
Quote:
I do wish it was however because it would make hole filling those hard to get dates much easier!
I wish we could too. I'll try the soot idea as it's the least dangerous.

Thanks Guys!

GC

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9384 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  07:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Should I rev the engine while I'm collecting the soot ?
Come on you guy's ; do you really need a hole filler that much ? the coin is gone , a cull and nothing but junk silver .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14563 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  07:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, polarized light may help to show up the date.
Also may apply to Buffalo nickels with worn date areas.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should I rev the engine while I'm collecting the soot ?

Yeah, rev that sucker up for me!

Quote:
the coin is gone , a cull and nothing but junk silver .

Exactly, so who cares. Its not like you're going to lose anything experimenting.

Lincoln cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Jefferson nickels - Done / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Washington quarters - 19 holes /

Bedrock of the Community
United States
14686 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nic-A-Date for nickels uses ferric chloride as the etchent, Silver can be etched with ferric nitrate. Haven't tried it though but that is what is listed on jewelry sites.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Conder101 I'll see about trying that!

Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do test this Grape, please share the results!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking around for ferric nitrate on the internet... that stuff isn't cheap!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1781 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I tried the rev/obv types but since the collar is worn you can't tell if OBV-02 or OBV-03. OBV-02 means that it would be a key date.

Seems you're asking for hints for doing some destructive methods that may or may not reveal results. I to might do the same as a last resort. Plenty of suggestions have been presented or already available with a few searches through the forums.

Curious if you've tried displaying images of the whole obverse and reverse that which others can evaluate? Some may or may not be able to put together or narrow down a nondestructive conclusion using design types or un-thought of markers? Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
09/27/2018 10:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1004 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure can! Here you go! I tried looking my OBV types but... who knows!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1781 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking that narrows it down to 1917 - 1924. http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/Hierar...+(1917-1924)
Quote:
Standing Liberty Quarter : Type 2a, Stars Below Eagle (Pedestal Date)
Maybe now we can research something more. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
09/27/2018 10:35 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05