Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Uncirculated 1880 Morgan Dollar to grade...Non-CC GSA Black Box!! - New Photos !

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7185 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  8:42 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The title is exactly how this special Morgan was listed on eBay (minus the "to grade" ...etc)

And this is indeed a special 1880-S Morgan.

...wait, how can an 1880-S -- one of the most common Morgan dollars in high grades, of which there seems to be a never-ending supply -- be special?

Well, a lot of it has to do with the little black GSA holder it's sitting in...the one seller didn't mention at all...

These are seller pictures so I can't do better (yet) but I tried to crop from Photoshop and what you see is what I have.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
09/27/2018 11:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2943 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks pretty clean from the photos aside from the far left cheek and chin. I didn't realize GSA holders command a premium. I would say ms-65 on the aggressive side.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7185 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2018  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
95% of the GSA hoard of approx. 2,880,000 Morgan dollars (I'm not including those determined to be "unsellable" which brings the total over 3m) were CC minted Morgans -- 2.0m "Uncirculated" CC, 690k "Blemished Unc" CC (toned, scratched, heavy bag marks), 100K "Circulated" CC soft packs (not always circulated!)

This leaves a scant 90,000 GSA Morgan dollars which were NOT minted at Carson City, 62,000 of which ended up in soft packs ("circulated") and only 28,000 "black box" hard packs ("uncirculated"). They came with different cards than the CC issues, as well.

An unknown number of these were cut out / broken out by collectors and dealers and either melted in the Hunt era or eventually ended up in TPG holders either with or without GSA attribution.

As a result, non-CC black box GSA's are scarce, and tend to carry premiums. NGC has certified 270 1880-S Black Box GSA Morgans (making it the 3rd or 4th most "common" non-CC Black Box) of which only 34 have made 65's and 99 at 64. Compare this to regular 1880-S which has 35.5k in 65 and 61k in 64. PCGS has yet to certify a single example (!) but that's perhaps because many Morgan collectors seem to prefer NGC's GSA holder.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
09/27/2018 11:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3103 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  01:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Not "conditional rarity", but "Mint rarity".
Pillar of the Community
United States
6271 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  09:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63. Nice find!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13686 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63
Pillar of the Community
United States
6466 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
typical GSA MS63
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28931 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63+, great fields.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8570 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS63. Cool find Adam!
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
5696 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  1:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
64+/65. fields are beautiful
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7185 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it today!!

New photos (taken by me at work with my cell phone)

I am on the 63/64 fence...the frost is broken in places BUT I don't see many bag marks underneath there.

Edited by paralyse
10/02/2018 9:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6271 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still at 63 on this one, but it looks better than the seller pics IMO.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05