Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Liberty Design

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Obverse #5 and Reverse #2 would have been a beautiful coin/medal.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1396 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea behind the obverse, just needs to be rendered better. Assuming it's meant to be similar to the Peace dollar obverse rays? And, I agree with the consensus regarding the general portrayal of Liberty. Should we stick with something akin to earlier examples and/or something recognizable as the face on the Statue itself? For better or worse, that's the image that the vast majority of Americans conjure up when she comes to mind. Maybe the Mint should quit trying to blaze new trails, but perhaps they're attempting to appeal to a new generation of coin hawks. Ms. Liberty is an ideal rather than an established entity. I'm sure we all have a different image in mind.

Edit: left out a word
Edited by Bump111
10/03/2018 11:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the idea behind the obverse, just needs to be rendered better. Assuming it's meant to be similar to the Peace dollar obverse rays?

Looks much more like the Indian gold headdress
Pillar of the Community
United States
748 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hcmusicguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the obverse. It's sort of Peace Dollar-esque. The close up eagle reverse, not so much. The option 6 is better.
Oldest circulation finds: Cent 1902; 3CN 1867; Nickel (Buffalo/no date); Dime 1924; Quarter 1876; Half 1936; Dollar 1900; Banknote 1928 $2; Foreign 1917 3d (Great Britain)
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the gold coins struck in high relief? Not that I would buy one, but I could see the close up relief could be cool on a high relief coin. Might look cool on a 2.5 ounce coin. Still, not a big fan.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fyi the chosen designs and specs are up at CoinWorld

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...silver-medal
Edited by mellamobradley46
07/12/2019 8:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6060 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So the modern trend of making historically accurate designs is once again thrown under the bus. To top it off we get an effigy of such high quality it might even win a third place ribbon in a high school art contest.

I do like the eagle they chose much better than the first.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Fyi the chosen designs and specs are up at CoinWorld

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...silver-medal

The eagles nice but the obverse is poorly executed. That piece of hair over the ear doesn't look good at all and they did something weird with the eyes like shes falling asleep
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The eagles nice but the obverse is poorly executed. That piece of hair over the ear doesn't look good at all and they did something weird with the eyes like shes falling asleep

I agree with the hair, probably was done to cover up the horrendously drawn ear in the original artwork. I like it though and will be buying it.

Also in medalic orientation the front and back will kind of blend into each other, which I think will be awesome.
Edited by mellamobradley46
07/13/2019 1:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1396 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the general consensus. Eagle is sharp, Ms. Liberty is unfortunately bug-eyed.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think bug eyed if it is representational of a Caucasian woman, but to me it just looks like they're continuing representation of lady liberty who is ethnically diverse.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although now that I look at it again the eye looks much better in the gold than the silver. The silver one has an additional vein or something coming out of the side of the eye socket. It's weird they aren't a consistent design but might have to do with not being high relief.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you, mellamo. I think the gold looks better than the silver as well.
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please...noooo! My first though was Egyptian. The obverse looks like a reference to Nefertiti and not Lady Liberty. And a head shot of an eagle? Sad. Really, really sad.
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They made the ear disappear and made the eye bug out on the final one, quite ugly now I won't be buying. The very first one was actually good, what happened to the artists.. Contract it out to middle schoolers?
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.32 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05