Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858-P Seated Liberty Half for Grading Opinions

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  7:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just won this seated half. These are seller pics, obviously taken in different lighting, and the first set is pretty blurry. Any thoughts on grading?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1383 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Ploopy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Ploopy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go AU58, pretty hard to grade from these pics but definitely at least AU
Collector of any American coinage.

Coins for sale: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pifagor/m....g=200&_from=
Pillar of the Community
United States
7301 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be in the AU range. Will wait on better pics to offer a definite opinion.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30170 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree no less than AU-58, very choice.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5960 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  12:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
au53. right obverse field merits a closer look.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14760 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55 but hard to tell from these photos if the surface is original.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree it's a tough call from the photos, but I thought it was worth taking a chance. I'll post better photos when I get it next week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6593 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU55. may push 58
Pillar of the Community
Canada
650 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks to have no lustre, as well as a light old cleaning.

Realistically it would be a XF-45 tops, but with Market/TPG grading it probably would be given a mid grade AU.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice original AU50 but as Optimist-numismatist notes there is not much luster. The very dark spotty toning around ERICA and the arrowheads is concerning because that is the sort of end-stage toning that usually progresses into corrosion if not checked.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30170 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't see how this could be AU-50 with a head of hair like that!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7442 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll clarify that I meant AU50 net and sharpness is AU58. In other words, it has the details of an AU58 coin but I would value it around AU50 money.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
1768 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55. Like this one. Hopefully when it arrives, it will look even better in hand!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's my hope, too! I should be getting it tomorrow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got this in the mail. Looks like a solid AU, lightly cleaned in the past, but nicely retoned. Not much luster, and the color in the new photos is accurate. Any changes to your grading thoughts?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
650 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Optimist-numismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-49+++*. just can't call this an AU coin. Still nice however.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05