Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 6,941 / Views: 499,712Next Topic
Page: of 463
Learn More...
United States
114883 Posts
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1873 Proof 3 cent Nickel coin. Love the design. Pardon the photo not being ideal.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my latest commemorative coin - been told that it was cleaned (doesn't look cleaned to me, but I'm no expert on what to look for on that matter), but what to do? - Place it in my 7070 album? YES!
1926 Sesquicentennial Silver Half Dollar Commemorative

Edited by Dearborn
02/02/2022 10:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
been told that it was cleaned (doesn't look cleaned to me, but I'm no expert on what to look for on that matter), but what to do?

The cleaning is obvious - not wanting to believe/accept what you've been told doesn't change reality!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
02/03/2022 06:46 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cleaning is obvious - not wanting to believe/accept what you've been told doesn't change reality!

HEY! I didn't say I don't accept the assessment of it being cleaned - I do actually. I said it does not to my untrained eyes. If it is so "obvious", how about TEACHING the untrained on how to identify a cleaned coin!!!
Edited by Dearborn
02/03/2022 08:19 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8054 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how about TEACHING the untrained on how to identify a cleaned coin!!!

I teach all the time - it is my primary focus here on CCF - review my 1000s of posts.

Your coin shows lots of parallel lines/scratches on each side - a sure sign of a mechanical (i.e., surface contact) cleaning.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
114883 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1873 Proof 3 cent Nickel coin. Love the design. Pardon the photo not being ideal.
Very nice!

Quote:
my latest commemorative coin - been told that it was cleaned (doesn't look cleaned to me, but I'm no expert on what to look for on that matter), but what to do? - Place it in my 7070 album? YES! 1926 Sesquicentennial Silver Half Dollar Commemorative
A hole that has been filled to your satisfaction is always a good thing.
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regarding the 1926 commemorative coin: I am still young to numismatics but what my eye has taught me from buying world junk silver coins that are sold at a reduced price of near silver value due to the coin being cleaned are the following characteristics:

a) For a coin from 1926 there should be some black or deep red tarnish at the borders of the design (say around the outline of the two side portraits and around the bell), absence of any of it is a sign cleaning has been done.

b) Notice the diagonal streaks in the open fields akin to the streaks you get sometimes from cleaning a mirror improperly? That is another potential sign of cleaning. Sometimes it is the nature of the planchet as you see with some Lincoln cents in MS but as this shows on one side diagonally and the other a different direction and less deep this shows it has probably been cleaned.

c) Many coins before I would say those from before the late 1980's have been cleaned. Only when grading standards were well-established by grading companies around that time did people begin to understand the various levels of cleaning and how an aggressive one takes away from the value of the coin. Before this period, numismatists were a bit divided on what was an accepted level of cleaning but experts could identify a coin with a harsh cleaning and would usually avoid acquiring such coins. A very light one with mild soap, distilled water patted with a soft cloth and then placed for 20 seconds in a folded tissue soaked with a few drops of acetone to quicken the drying process and remove fresh fingerprints for under 20 secs is what I would consider a light cleaning and the most one should do. This should also be done only with low value coins (any circulated coin worthless than $50 or, in some cases, under $20 such as very old Lincoln wheat cents).

Some folks will disagree with point c) as there are collectors who will NEVER clean a coin UNLESS it was literally found in the ground caked with soil and who knows what. But I think if you consider what I mentioned for cleaning as the top limit, you should be fine.

As for your coin it is a lovely commemorative for its design and, despite it being aggressively cleaned, remains attractive. If you decide to sell it your best buyer would be one starting to collect commemoratives and possibly has a modest budget. This would be an excellent starter coin for them.
Edited by coinnewcomer1
02/03/2022 10:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2276 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received three zinc coins by mail today struck during the German Occupation of The Netherlands during WW-II.
A 1 Cent coin, a 10 Cents coin, and a 25 Cents coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@coinnewcomer1:

Quote:
As for your coin it is a lovely commemorative for its design and, despite it being aggressively cleaned, remains attractive. If you decide to sell it your best buyer would be one starting to collect commemoratives and possibly has a modest budget. This would be an excellent starter coin for them.

Thanks for taking the time to talk about your thoughts on cleaning of coins.
I really appreciate it. From the site that I bought this coin, it did have pictures, but the pictures made it look good, there was no sign the hash marks on it and the seller did not disclose this fact. I paid $90.00 for this. I will buy a better coin and sell this one off (at a big loss to me) But live and learn.

thanks again for your thoughts.
I would have answered much earlier, but I had a work crew here at the house replacing all my exterior windows and I HAD to keep an eye on my 'coin room'.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20861 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
German Occupation of The Netherlands during WW-II.
A 1 Cent coin, a 10 Cents coin, and a 25 Cents

Nice coins !
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
20861 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2010 Alderney .
5 Pounds Silver Proof Coin - Battle of Britain 70th Anniversary Commemorative.

-
A cultivated person is a citizen of the world*
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4122 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  03:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4 Tongan Proof coins of 1967. They celebrate Tupou IV's coronation

Despite being really cheap (About $10 each), they only issued 1,987 of each. They are 20 and 50 Seniti and 1 and 2 Pa'anga. They are also large.

20 Seniti - 28.4mm - 11.52 grams
50 Seniti - 34.1mm - 18.03 grams
1 Pa'anga - 38.4mm - 28.23 grams
2 Pa'anga - 44.5mm - 41.68 grams

Reverse showing the King

I love COINS!!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10437 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10685 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2022  07:43 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got these beauties in the post today!

I correspond with a Spanish collector and every year I send him a set (or as complete a set as I can assemble from circulation) of the most recent British coins, and he sends me in return a set of the latest Spanish coins.
Page: of 463 Replies: 6,941 / Views: 499,712Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: