Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Continuing List To Show Everyones Latest Acquisitions

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6,904 / Views: 497,611Next Topic
Page: of 461
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4075 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks JBuck, for me its not just getting and having a coin, I am always interested in the 5W's and H (What, Why, Where, Who, When and How) and for me its mostly the "Why a coin was issued"

To me I love the British silver and Kiwi and Aussie stuff, but there is a large world of coins and I have always had an interest in the Ottoman Empire as it was successful for a long time and was a real East meets West thing. It bridged the era from Medieval to Modern.

Here is the 2nd coin I won the Yuzlik of the sultan Selim III (1789 - 1803). He was the last traditonalist and to wear a turban, long flowing Islamic gown and kaftan more than the Strambouline (That brocaded waistcoat) and Fez of Mahmoud II and his successors (The last two sultans favoured 3 piece suits with Fezzes, hardly ever Islaming it up which angered many of the Arab peoples in their empire).

This is the Yuzlik (2 Kurus or 100 Para) and the fact it weighs the same as the 2 Zolota shows you how bad the economy and inflation was there (Well the empire was shrinking crazily at this time thanks to Russia and Austria). The date AH 1203 is at the bottom which is 1789, but the year Selim was ensultanated. Its the same on the 2 Zolota above, first image, bottom row.

The other side which is a verse glorifying the Sultan. The year of his reign is the 3rd row, near the left you can see what looks like a heart shaped circle inverted. This is the figure for "5" meaning Year 5 of the reign or 1207AH. It is the same with the coin above. Third row down on the second shot, you will see a "1" and a dot. This is 10 in Arabic.

I can't wait to get these, just fascinating and surprisingly perfectly round, yet the proper coin press only arrived in 1844!

I love COINS!!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
985 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hokiefan_82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coins, Princetane, thanks for sharing and providing the extra information on these!
My U.S. Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278808/
My U.S. Classic Commemorative Complete Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/278741/
My 20th Century U.S. Type Set - Proofs only, No Gold https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/co...sets/396301/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8248 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those Canadian coins really are nice. I like the concept of Queen Elizabeth and the mirror. I especially like the train. I have one of the 1981 versions.

@Princetane
There is not enough time in life to know all I would love to know. It would be great for me if I could look at that coin and read it! Great history!

And, of course, jbuck - the Ike is great!
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Valued Member
United States
385 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a lot of world coins I received as part of a trade on numista. The Philippines coins are part of a US administration type set in putting together.

Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2022  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a lot of world coins I received as part of a trade on numista. The Philippines coins are part of a US administration type set in putting together.
Fantastic lot!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
112 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check GaryVanWa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GaryVanWa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was on a brief hunt for a decent "for real" AU 1884 S Morgan recently. I bought about 3 at auction at not bad prices and they are possible AU 50-53, but even that would depend on the "mood" of the TPG.

But last week I found and bought one that seems to be a solid mid-AU.
Here it is! The pic of the obverse was out of the flip, but not the rev.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4075 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  05:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The third and final of these Turkish coins of the 18th century

This coin is exactly like the first one I showed, except its a year later!

You will notice 2 "1" in the 3rd row, meaning its year 11. This one is a better condition, they should arrive soon!

Love the shiny Morgan dollar - it looks too nice to be AU, I was going to say MS.

I love COINS!!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Learn More...
United States
114610 Posts
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2022  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4075 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2022  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@Princetane
There is not enough time in life to know all I would love to know. It would be great for me if I could look at that coin and read it! Great history!

Apparently according to Numista, they say (The 2 Zolotas) , "minted in Islamboul, the victorious warrior (Al Gazi) two zolota, Coronation AH 1187".

The other says something like, The sultan Abdul Hamid who is the Sultan being the son of the Sultan in the 10th year of his Sultan nate.
The word "sultan" is repeated at least 4 times, just in case anyone is in doubt who is in charge.

I love COINS!!!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10269 Posts
Page: of 461 Previous TopicReplies: 6,904 / Views: 497,611Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: