Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Split Planchets - Showcase And Discussion

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
27 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add geraldbergeron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW This is a great thread, at least for an error collecting beginner like me . Just to understand this error World !!
IMO, it should be in some kind of "stickies" at the beginning of the forum "Canadian Variety and Error Coins"
Just like any other "Tutorial" approved by mods.
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  12:47 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My advice is that you learn to use the CCF search engines - even searches in this forum are very useful. There is a ton of information here.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I finally got around to digging in my error box and found my oldest split planchet strike and photographed it for this thread.

This is a 1958 struck on a split planchet (1.58 g) and with a small rim clip near 6 o'clock. Traces of lustre, I grade this one at a nice AU.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
722 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice to see a date on that one. wow! with a rim clip too!
thanks for sharing SPP.
Valued Member
Canada
51 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fenian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some very gorgeous coins here. Thanks for sharing!

One of the few split planchets I have I picked up in an auction lot several years back.

Best photo I have on hand is the auction listing.

I will have to dig it out to take a better pic.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
722 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2019  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I thought I would add this coin to the thread. it is a split planchet of sorts, having come apart due to contamination in the planchet.

Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  01:22 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My newest one. I stopped buying these from 1978-1981, because there are so many out there, but when I see an older one with a readable date, I usually try to get it. This one is nice and lustrous, 1.62 grams.

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
722 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

here are 2 more split planchets I have added to my set...

the first is from 1981 and weighs 1.5 grams which is 54% of a typical 1981 planchet. the striations are on the obverse and the reverse shows a large scratch and a retained impurity which could have been the catalyst for the split.

the second one is also from 1981 and also weighs 1.5 grams which is 54% of the weight of a typical 1981 planchet. the striations are on the reverse.

Learn More...
Canada
8493 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one sold for very strong money last night... I know the Calgary coin dealer who sells errors (Israel) was at Coin Expo, I wonder if he snapped it up?

http://auctions.gbellauctions.com/O...et_i33009978

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
722 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2019  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and then...

I am shocked at the hammer price of that blank split planchet. I feel very fortunate to have one in my set. wow!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05