Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Split Planchets - Showcase And Discussion

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 8,244Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Coin 3 was split before the strike, sat on the anvil die, and had a normal planchet sit on top of it.

Look how well struck that obverse rim is, and how subdued those striations are, also there is a weak rim on the split side (in contact with collar die). The obverse shows a nice ghost effect from the obverse die.

This, is a coin from the same era, split after the strike.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1842 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe........lol I am skeptical.
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks nickelsguy and SPP-Ottawa for your comments.

I think there always a lot of confusion between split after and before strike when a ghost image of the opposite side can be seen.

What I heard is that the split after strike is more scarce, so the comparison between the two versions is more difficult.

If we compare striations between my coin #3 and the split after strike presented by SPP-Ottawa, we see that the striations are smoother. That was my main clue for a split before strike.
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still skeptical Mike? Here is another coin, split after the strike. And, this one even has a ghost of the Queen, but look at the 3-dimensional nature of the metal.

and the other side

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another split after the strike, with both pieces. Again, note the 3-dimensional nature of the split surface.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9743 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had that last one mounted in a PCGS Double slab. Both pieces were in a single CCCS soft flip... which boggled my mind. A net grade for two pieces. I think it showcases nicely in this presentation.

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
108 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another split after the strike, with both pieces. Again, note the 3-dimensional nature of the split surface.

Wow!!!! Very nice coins.
Especially the one with the two pieces.

Nice demonstration of split after strike!
No confusion by now.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 52 / Views: 8,244Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05