Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Split Planchets - Showcase And Discussion

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 9,609Next Topic
Page: of 4
Learn More...
Canada
9899 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Coin 3 was split before the strike, sat on the anvil die, and had a normal planchet sit on top of it.

Look how well struck that obverse rim is, and how subdued those striations are, also there is a weak rim on the split side (in contact with collar die). The obverse shows a nice ghost effect from the obverse die.

This, is a coin from the same era, split after the strike.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1862 Posts
 Posted 04/18/2021  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maybe........lol I am skeptical.
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks nickelsguy and SPP-Ottawa for your comments.

I think there always a lot of confusion between split after and before strike when a ghost image of the opposite side can be seen.

What I heard is that the split after strike is more scarce, so the comparison between the two versions is more difficult.

If we compare striations between my coin #3 and the split after strike presented by SPP-Ottawa, we see that the striations are smoother. That was my main clue for a split before strike.
Learn More...
Canada
9899 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still skeptical Mike? Here is another coin, split after the strike. And, this one even has a ghost of the Queen, but look at the 3-dimensional nature of the metal.

and the other side

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9899 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another split after the strike, with both pieces. Again, note the 3-dimensional nature of the split surface.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
9899 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had that last one mounted in a PCGS Double slab. Both pieces were in a single CCCS soft flip... which boggled my mind. A net grade for two pieces. I think it showcases nicely in this presentation.

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2021  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another split after the strike, with both pieces. Again, note the 3-dimensional nature of the split surface.

Wow!!!! Very nice coins.
Especially the one with the two pieces.

Nice demonstration of split after strike!
No confusion by now.
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2021  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have one like yours Fenian, but also the other half. Wrote about them in a RCNA Journal article.
Nice coin.

Ref:
http://goccf.com/t/330437&whichpage=3#3271036

Zonad,

I read with interest your paper in the RCNA Journal (Nov. 2012, p. 556).

Were you able to confirm by the weight that these split planchets are a matching pair
Edited by SP67
09/21/2021 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1385 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zonad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SP67
I don't remember weighing them, they are in a double PCGS holder now.
Valued Member
Canada
129 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zonad:
Thanks for your response. You just need to crack the PGCS Holder.. I'm just kidding.

In fact, I'm asking that question because I heard that Canadian Planchet based on pure nickel cannot split because of the planchet manufacturing process by sintering of pure nickel.

So, I've heard that these low weight 5 cents should be described as "rolled thin planchet and struck through".

At some point that could make sense, but your matching pair "destroy" that description. It's unlikely that two rolled thin planchets with a matching total weight sit together into the striking chamber.

Thanks for sharing additional information. I found very little reference on that subject. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by SP67
09/22/2021 11:42 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 9,609Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05