Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about coin capsules with the rubber o-rings around edge

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  3:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found some forum members who said their coins tarnished around the edges in these. There was some debate about the cause.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thank you
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jst1dreamr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't had the problem but I can see where if one was not sealed carefully or not re-sealed carefully it sure could let the environmental elements seep in. O ring seals should never be used dry.
Edited by jst1dreamr
10/08/2018 5:23 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14498 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer screw sealed hard acrylic capsules as used by the British Royal Mint for their proof coins.

I buy them for 50 cents each from a dealer, who almost always has at least one in the diameter that I may be looking for.

I even store nice American coins in them!
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the ones I have, it seems like the foam, or whatever it is, insert could break down and cause problems. I will be on the lookout for better ones.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8764 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  10:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I assume you're talking about the foam rings that are used to reduce the inner diameter so a smaller coin fits properly in the capsule?

If you buy from a reputable online source such as Wizard, you're probably just fine using the rings.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3936 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  12:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine Air-Tite holders with rings are absolutely safe to use. I have used them for over 20 years to store coins, medals and tokens made of gold, silver, copper, bronze, nickel and various alloys of these without any issues whatsoever. Just make sure to buy the genuine product rather than try to save a few cents by buying Chinese knockoffs.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to buy the right ones.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05