Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Happy Columbus Day for me! 1893 Columbian Exposition Tickets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
8559 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  08:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stunning work of art Steve!
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7461 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  10:16 am  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Steve that is amazing and in such fantastic condition! Thanks for posting it.
Just beautiful!
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
It helps CCF a little. Try it!
Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
881 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up George and Abe when I was a kid of 12-13. Since then, I have all the Main ones; still missing a couple of the Special tickets.
Looks like you have the whole series TNG.

Some of these can be kinda pricey.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7461 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like you have the whole series TNG.

Nope, still need the Handel Music Admission Ticket. I'll get it eventually.
On the left of most every CCF page, I am trying to remember to use CCF Partners links. They are highlighted in lime green!
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are wonderful tickets, thanks for posting. I have the full set of six engraved tickets that were printed by the American Bank Note Company. It took me many years to find the Handel ticket at a price I considered reasonable. You used to be able to buy any of the four common tickets for about $15 or less. All have gone up considerably since the third party grading companies began slabbing them as they do coins and paper money.

Quote:
Notice there are "A" on some printings. My Franklin has the "A". So even with the main 6 tickets, one could collect 12. Those with A and those without.

The A indicates that these were "group tickets" originally sold for package tours and the like. Individual tickets sold at the gate didn't have this letter. Only the Music tickets (Handel) were not sold in bulk, which is why they became harder to find.

There were a large number of A tickets remaining after the fair, so they were sold as complete sets for anyone who wanted to them as souvenirs. The original envelopes the set came in are now quite rare.

Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks!

Incidentally, American Bank Note reprinted the fronts of these tickets from the original plates on a series of six souvenir cards, issued at the 1992 World Columbian Stamp Expo in Chicago. I think 1500 sets were printed, which probably makes them scarcer than the original tickets. You can find all the images on the SCCS website, catalog numbers SO-91 to 96. http://www.souvenircards.org/galler...SO.html#so80 br /

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7461 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are getting quite the information thread going here. Thank you very much!
I have seen the empty envelopes but they don't do much for me.
I can't get into the fair with an empty envelope!
Is the souvenir card uniface? I would be leery of a cut ticket being sold as an error or missing serial number.
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the souvenir card uniface? I would be leery of a cut ticket being sold as an error or missing serial number.

American Bank Note typically printed a "certification statement" on the back of their souvenir cards. These have it and even though the ticket isn't centered, it does catch the logo and a bit of the lettering. But I'd be surprised if anyone tried that. The set runs about $125 retail, so there's enough value in them to deter someone from chopping them up.

Edited by GregAlex
10/12/2018 9:13 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7461 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks GregAlex, Now we know what the back looks like. Nice item!
Learn More...
United States
61315 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Incidentally, American Bank Note reprinted the fronts of these tickets from the original plates on a series of six souvenir cards, issued at the 1992 World Columbian Stamp Expo in Chicago...
Fantastic!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05