Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unidentified thick silver coin, Arabic writing on both sides, 18mm 4.7g?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7174 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  10:27 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Kushanshah, other CCF friends, some help would be appreciated!

Coin is 4.7 grams, quite thick and almost 18mm at the widest. That seems heavy for a dirham but about the right diameter.

I think I can make out the numerals for "96" or "69" in the top left of the 2nd photo but that's about it and even that's a pure guess.

I do love a good mystery...

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Learn More...
United States
21700 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kushanshah will know better than I, but it looks like a Sultan Of Delhi coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7174 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thought about that, since I do have one, but perhaps it's the thickness difference that's off. But then again, you may be entirely correct!

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can make out the numbers 96 on the upper left of the second photo. Sorry can't help other than that.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7174 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After spending way too much time looking at listings on vcoins and eBay I am now fairly confident that it is a Sultanate coin but not sure which one as it bears similarities to Khalji and Tughluqid coins. I'm just going to record it as "Indian Sultanate" for now and revisit it later.

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've looked at this several times but I can't ID it. The date seems to be AH 96x or x96. The weight is right for a Timurid tanka or Mughal shahrukhi of the 960s. They are really the same denomination with different regional names. The same standard may have been used by other dynasties of the time as well. The first image is the kalima. In the second, the only clear word is "sultan" in the top line.
Edited by Kushanshah
10/14/2018 8:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7174 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@KS Thanks for your reply! I will spend more time looking at Timurid and Mughal issues and see if I can find a pattern match.

Edit: it is awfully close to several Timurid tanka issued during the reign of Nasir al-Din Mahmud Shah III (Gujarat Sultanate) and dated to the 960s AH. However the weight of this suggests it might be a 1/2 tanka on a larger flan? (average 3.7-3.8 grams at the 32 rati standard but 14-15mm) -- the 64 rati standard full tanka listed all have weights of around 7.1-7.3 grams at 18-19mm diameter.

Edited by paralyse
10/14/2018 9:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to Album, the post-reform Timurid tankas should weigh 4.78g and the Mughal shahrukhi of the same period 4.7g. The closest thing I found design-wise were Mughal shahrukhis of Akbar which have the looped frame around the kalima but the other legend didn't match. The 2nd line has "abu al-" as part of what may be (emphasis maybe) abu'l-muzaffar.

Edited by Kushanshah
10/15/2018 5:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@paralyse I browsed through the Gujarat section in Goron and Goenka's The Coins of the Indian Sultanates. I do see the types you are referring to but the resemblance is superficial. None of the Gujarat coins has the kalima.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05