Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Huntoon article on a newly discovered Arizona Territory Red Seal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  7:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I saw this in my email inbox today and decided to share the link here. http://www.numismaticnews.net/artic...fa-nl-181009

The article written by Peter Huntoon discusses a newly discovered Series 1902 Red Seal $5 from the Arizona Territory from the only bank to order and issue this denomination.

Happy reading.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28985 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This article originated in the BNR this month. Amazing discovery! Thanks for the link.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/09/2018 8:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2518 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could come across this stuff. Amazing find for someone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read the article, and many other interesting topics included in the email.

One article discusses changing the grading scale from 0-70 to 0-100, and another article goes in-depth in two parts describing the 1896 Educational series notes. All good reads.Thanks for sharing MVC.
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Listed in Kelly's Sixth Edition....is this a second one?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2490 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing the link! Very interesting find
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13734 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great note from a mining town.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  6:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mfhorn,

Yes, this is the second note on the Globe National Bank. The article mentions that the previously known note was a Series 1902 Red Seal $20.

-MV

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes, this is the second note on the Globe National Bank.

Thanks MV; didn't have time to read the whole article.

With 1250 notes printed, more or sure to have survived, wouldn't you think?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4346 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
With 1250 notes printed, more or sure to have survived, wouldn't you think?

Actually, the 1250 refers to the number of sheets printed.

At the time, currency was printed with four notes per sheet (there are exception such as the $50/$100 nationals which were printed with one of each per sheet).

In the case of the Red Seal $5's there were 5,000 notes total.

For the $10's there were 3,750 individual notes (three per sheet) and 1,250 (1 per sheet) $20's.

Once Globe NB liquidated the notes would have been sent in for redemption by the FNB of Globe and other institutions either as the Treasury maintained a redemption fund (paid by the national bank itself when established).

The Comptroller's Report for 1910 Globe NB's circulation issued $50,000 outstanding $44,150

-MV

Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mfhorn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MV;
Thanks of course for correcting me, for what I should have known.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05