Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1933 Double Eagle conclusion.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you haven't already, I highly suggest reading the book Illegal Tender by David Tripp. It follows the story and investigation from its very beginning through the legal sale of the supposed Farouk example.

I agree the book is an interesting read, but keep in mind that David Tripp was a paid government expert in the Langboards case because his views on Israel Swift and the coins fit nicely with the US Government.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14479 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
However, she may not have known exactly why the alleged Farouk coin was allowed to be sold, i.e. the export license. That was the "oops!" moment.

I feel fairly should she did as she turned them over on the advice of the same lawyer that had defended Fenton.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10984 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why is that? I am sure they are innocent saints... The timing of their actions is quite suspicious, no?

Like I said just rampant speculation about them and their motives when they had already commented on them with their own words on another forum.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8124 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I feel fairly should she did as she turned them over on the advice of the same lawyer that had defended Fenton.

But that again begs the question: How many did she have, exactly? Maybe she was trying to do the "right thing" by returning them to the Treasury, but 10 of those in 2004 was over $4,000 in gold melt value and gold coins could and can be legally melted. It's one angle of many. Yes, speculation even.

As far as David Tripp goes, I found his book to be thoroughly researched and generally unbiased. I have not investigated the Langboard's case, so I cannot say why exactly he would be called upon other than his knowledge and research of the history/events. I will say that his book, in the end, presented more questions than answers because of the nature of the investigation and the prerogatives of the parties involved.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Learn More...
United States
61543 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not at all. The mint already took the position that they never made them, not his fault if they lied.
My point is if they were found to exist it would be evidence that they were indeed minted and that would make the over-strikes illegal according to the law.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But that again begs the question: How many did she have, exactly? Maybe she was trying to do the "right thing" by returning them to the Treasury, but 10 of those in 2004 was over $4,000 in gold melt value and gold coins could and can be legally melted. It's one angle of many.

Why would Longboards have the coins melted as the Langboards had an written agreement with the the US Government that the coins would be returned after authentication. The coins were pronounced genuine by the mint, but the coins were never returned after repeated requests. The US Government refuses to return the coins and while the case was still under trial, the mint has the 10 1933 coins graded. What gave the mint the right to have the coins graded while the Langboard case was still active?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8124 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why would Longboards have the coins melted as the Langboards had an written agreement with the the US Government that the coins would be returned after authentication. The coins were pronounced genuine by the mint, but the coins were never returned after repeated requests.

What's the argument here? If the agreement was there (I don't know), then why didn't the government return them? I suppose that's why I brought up the melting. Why would they actually think what the government considered "stolen property" to be freely returned?

I guess I need to investigate the Langboards' case because not much of what I've heard of their actions makes sense to me.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10984 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess I need to investigate the Langboards' case because not much of what I've heard of their actions makes sense to me.

You've heard a lot of nonsense overall (which everyone has) which really comes out in the trial. It's pretty straight forward why they did what they did and they addressed it several times. Looking into the case will very likely give you a different perspective or at the very least see the inconsistencies

You can find quite a few of these from the various courts
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOU...-05315-7.pdf

One of many articles
https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...es-.all.html

Edited by basebal21
10/14/2018 12:14 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2133 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess I need to investigate the Langbords' case because not much of what I've heard of their actions makes sense to me.

Read the thread at CU "Did the Langbords file an Appeal about the 1933 Double Eagles". RHL in the thread is the grandson of Israel Swift and provides the Langbords version of what happened at trial, and how the coins were discovered in a safe, and why the decisions were made about the coins.
Edited by Slider23
10/14/2018 12:31 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05