Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me Find A Magnifying Glass

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
290 Posts
 Posted 10/18/2018  9:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been using a lighted acrylic magnifying glass that appears to be about 2x. I read somewhere that glass is best for numismatics. So, I started looking on the internet for a lighted, glass magnifying glass. Not much luck. I ended up ordering a 10x and a 4x on eBay from overseas sellers. Each was less than $20. When, after several weeks they finally showed up, neither was suitable. The 10x was way too strong. I held out hope for the 4x, but it's light didn't work.
So, can anyone steer me anywhere I might find what I'm looking for? Also, any recommendations on magnifying power? 4x? 5x? 10x is clearly too much, and I want more than the 2x I'm now using.
Can't use a jeweler's loupe with my glasses; too blind to use loupe without glasses.
Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29866 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wear bi-focal glasses with a strong prescription. I look for errors and varieties. I use a 14x jewelers loupe doublet that cost less than $7 and also a 14x Hastings B&L jewelers loupe that cost $24. I recommend having a 10x and a 12 or 14x. If you are just looking at coins to see the whole coin use a 5x with glass lens. Avoid any with built in light.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29866 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, John1. You have saved me probably hours of uninformed searching.
I, too, wear bifocals with a strong prescription. Maybe I don't understand what a jeweler's loupe is. I thought it was only the one eye thingie that you put up against your eye and squinted to hold in place. The hand held magnifiers you suggested look like just what I am looking for.
If you could, it would be great if you could explain why built in lights should be avoided. The one I am using now is very convenient. I am able to see the coin better with the light on than off, so I will want to have an additional light source somewhere. Currently, I like to sit back in my recliner, holding the THG slab in my left hand and the magnifier in my right. Although I find this an enjoyable and relaxing way to enjoy my collection, maybe I should be sitting at a table with some sort of light to examine the coin under. If I were searching for errors and die varieties, I can fully understand the need for higher magnification power and proper lighting. At this time, though, I am really just using the magnifier to appreciate the engraving and design details, particularly with very small coins like half dimes.
Any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1518 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a couple with a built-in light. When the light works, it's quite helpful, but don't expect that to last very long. My first one lasted a couple of months before the batteries gave out. It was a pain to open the case to replace them, and when I finally did the light wouldn't work at all, even with new batteries. The light on my second one still works, sort of -- it flickers badly, though a good smack will get it to stay on for a second or two. I can't even get its case to open to change the batteries but with this behavior I don't think it's worth the effort.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29866 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
just using the magnifier to appreciate the engraving and design details

In that case use the 5x that I posted a link for. As to on board light,in your case I see no problem. When I am looking for errors/varieties a single light source works best. I sit at a table with a clamp on swing arm light. By all means,use whatever magnifier and light source that works best for you.
John1
Edited by John1
10/19/2018 1:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2228 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand graders up north here use a 10X, I use a 20X
hand held, collapsible, with an LED light, need new battery
but can change it up. I use it for coins and panning for
gold/geology.

After posting this, my wife found my hand lens from my
University Days in Geology, it was made in Japan with the
green twine, this was lost for three years, in which time
I bought the one above it and the plastic one, now I have
3. In 1985 I bought that loupe for $20 it is 20X.

RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Edited by SilverDon
10/20/2018 1:14 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18632 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05