Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Coins Depicting Insects

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 133 / Views: 8,945Next Topic
Page: of 9
Learn More...
United States
105082 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1413 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ukraine 2 hryvni 2020

Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2021  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Used on a number of token issues from all over the British Isles during the 18th and 19th centuries, the metaphor of the beehive was intended to honor or celebrate industry, or industriousness. The beehive device was sometimes surrounded by an inspirational legend, such as "From Industry Abundance Flows," to mention one example. Some U.S. Hard Times and Civil War tokens also made use of this motif.

This silver piece from Stockport in Cheshire, an 1812 shilling token, was either a speculative anonymous merchant token or a city/county issue...no one knows for sure. The seated figure on the reverse is generally regarded as an allegorical representation of Commerce.

Cheshire: Dalton 7; Davis 7. 25mm.

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6586 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@owatchman: Considering the coins presented by your recent posts, it appears that you might be a collector of coins from the Ukraine?

They're all interesting and attractive, IMO. Thanks for posting!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6586 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@daltonista: Cool token!

Seeing it reminded me of an 1875 commemorative medal that I have in my collection - it commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Mecklenburg (NC) Declaration of Independence. It features hornets and their nest.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
105082 Posts
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Even well into the 21st century, commems, the legend of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is still commemorated in many ways, not only in Charlotte's "nickname" of the "Hornet's Nest City," but also in the names of schools, parks, their NBA team, and even products like this one from the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery:

I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy one a little too soon.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6586 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even well into the 21st century, the legend of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence is still commemorated in many ways,

I agree! It's also still a bit of a controversy!

I've written about the medal for a couple of different publications and am planning a post about it here on CCF. I find the whole story surrounding the "MeckDec" very intriguing!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1413 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2021  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add owatchman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems

It's one of my many interests. I just happen to have gotten in a shipment with a lot of Ukrainian examples. And since my phone was handy, I had to snap a few pics.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
18309 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2021  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2012 Canada.
25 cents.
Aster with Bumble bee.

Learn More...
United States
105082 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2021  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2012 Canada. 25 cents. Aster with Bumble bee.
Nice example!
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2021  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Check daltonista's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daltonista to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After putting up with their crap hollering for about a month this past summer, I couldn't resist commemorating 2021 on this thread with the cicada moth on this silver art medal by Carl Paul Jennewein issued in 1933 by the Society of Medalists.

The legends translate to "Fame" and "Glory." Since way BCE, cicadas have for obvious reasons symbolized rebirth and renewal, but also noise and cacaphony ("Fame"), while cherubs, viewed in some religious traditions as a category of angels, are seen as the upholders of the supreme deity's "Glory" and supporters of his/her throne. (Trying to keep it secular here, folks!)

(I confess I snatched these images from a current eBay listing, so anyone who's interested should search item #194428001411.)

Learn More...
United States
105082 Posts
Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 133 / Views: 8,945Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.4 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05