Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1909 S (Weak) VDB Lincoln Cent "To V Or Not To V" You Vs NGC

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought forum members would like to see what a graded super weak VDB looks like. Picked this one up at substantial discount off book and am open to opinions on this controversial cent. Viewers will have to use some imagination to see the V.D.B. my son says "I see nuthin Dad you got ripped" of course I see it bold and mountainous like. Does anyone else own one of these and scoffers please do elaborate. I put this one in the same category as my 1922 no D weak reverse (controversial).
Comments solicited. Don't forget to guess the grade. Sorry about angles, my android is fighting wars with Forum download applications and losing badly.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:58 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see nuffin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18205 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not one I would buy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch goldeagle, ouch bigsilver,how abought grade?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18205 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grade at VG-8 appears to be correct. With the VDB so weak (I can't even see any sign), it would be a hard coin to sell if ever removed from the NGC slab.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I can't see the VDB from these images. Maybe in hand it's more visible.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42136 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sadly, must agree. It deserved to be sold at a substantial discount.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11835 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry, but I can't see the VDB from these images. Maybe in hand it's more visible.

Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42136 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weak VDB in the Philly version is faint but clearly visible in all the examples I've seen.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16056 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never see an S VDB with a weak VDB. Since the dies were fresh and they made so few, it's exceptionally unusual to have the VDB weak. I can't see it in the pictures but it must be there if NGC certified it. It must be a grease filled die.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar of the Community
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with BadThad.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
685 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much light the vdb disappears. In low light you can discern the V and period, D and period, and a B busted up by a ding but no period. I was wondering if it could be one of the shadow vdb mentioned in one of the articles I read or simply like Badthad said ; grease filled and extreme wear. If I did bust it out doubt I could sell it as S vdb. Breath on it and it would be gone forever. Man this is gotta be the weakest vdb in the world, maybe its worth more? don't forget to guess a grade onthe coin.
Edited by luvmyCAM
10/23/2018 11:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12556 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the real problem, whether it is or not most people wouldn't want to pay up for that type when you need a microscope to see what makes it that type.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting coin for sure, if the price was right, I might have bought it. with VG-08.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Pillar of the Community
United States
3987 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am with the others at VG.

I see no traces of VDB from you photos. Weak I think is quite an understatement in this case. I do hope the cost was greatly reduced since this could also be a mislabel in the worst case scenario.

ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
7776 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i cant get an exact match to any known obverse die for an 09S vdb.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05