Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

NCLT - Collectibles Surviving Beyond The Upcoming Cashless Society?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2019  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I read last week where some cities in your country have prohibited such businesses and many cities and states are considering the same prohibitions.
Seems the no-cash businesses are infringing on the rights of marginalized citizens.

In the land of legal challenges that does not surprise me at all. But it's just a matter of time.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
638 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To jump in I have to confess it may happen quicker than you can imagine. Hard currency is going to disappear . I have been involved in the business of supplying cash in the ATM business I chose to get out as there is little logic in favor of cash , banks hate handling cash its expensive and its exposed,governments don't like it because of the fear of the underground economy and lack of control . Sorry but if you have the government and the banks and most businesses posed to profit by eliminating cash, its gone. We are all witnesses to the end of the cash operating society and the inevitable takeover of e-commerce.
The effect on this hobby also afraid to say devastating, why,The next generation will simply not relate, collect pennies why grandpa ,whats a penny anyway what was it for and I imagine my answer to be something like if you save 150 of em you could buy a can of Coke, to which I would probably get a response like no thanks I'll just use my debit app on my phone.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I purchased a few coins for my kids when they were younger but they quickly wanted to "cash in" when they recognized the value of money - and what else they could do with it.

But there are still a lot of collectors out there. Hopefully enough to buy my kids coins...

Pillar of the Community
United States
6060 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reposting from before

Quote:
...while I know cities are already trending cashless for convenience sake, there are still a lot of us outside of city environments who go to garage sales, flea markets, farmer's markets, auctions, hobby shows, county fairs, bake sales, and other types of private businesses/sales etc. who still use coins and bills.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy and sell on craigslist and live in big cities - only deal in cash with random strangers and don't see that changing
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9877 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry to say but statistics show that cash is taking a beating - even in the US...

This is a direct quote from the following article you posted:

Quote:
Cash still remains the most frequent method of payment in the country overall, representing roughly 31 percent of all consumer transactions, more than electronic, credit, debit or checks.

So, which is it? It may be declining, but not quite at the rate that cashless fans hope.

Quote:
The next generation will simply not relate, collect pennies why grandpa ,whats a penny anyway what was it for and I imagine my answer to be something like if you save 150 of em you could buy a can of Coke, to which I would probably get a response like no thanks I'll just use my debit app on my phone.

That's a gross exaggeration. Take anyone who has the capacity to understand money and present them with a penny, cent or equivalent. It will be a long time before that person has no idea what its purpose is/was.

with Earle and llewellin. Many markets cannot be overcome so easily with cashless transactions. I'm fairly familiar with flea markets and what is most acceptable there.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
07/08/2019 03:51 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
697 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  04:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see Square Pay at a lot of flea markets, fairs, etc. It is just a phone to phone tap app.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15632 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  04:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In a cashless society, drug dealers will use Bitcoin.
Transactions are untraceable for part fractions of Bitcoin.
World Government couldn't care less about drug dealers; it is only the honest people they really wish to control.
"Beware the mark of the beast"

Will NCLT survive? I don't think so, except in strict bullion form.
NCLT will cease to be made, because there will be no circulating currency. Bullion coins will still be around, but they will be the same as stashing silver or gold bullion bars.

Dealing in ancient, hammered, milled and previously circulated 'modern' machine pressed coins that used to be used for money, (and banknotes),
will still form the body of coins (and banknotes), that we refer to as numismatics.
(Something like Pandora's Box )
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9877 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
I have strong doubts about that. What Chili's location is this?

Chili's Grill & Bar
Mesa Grand Shopping Center

My son wanted to pay cash and was refused...

Okay, I contacted Chili's about this and this was the reply I received today:

Quote:
July 9, 2019

Dear Mr. ------,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our Mesa Chili's.

All of our restaurants accept cash as payment. It's possible the restaurant may have had temporary register issues, but this would have been resolved immediately.

Guest feedback is vital to our success. We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,
Matt
Chili's Guest Engagement Team

The bold is mine for emphasis. I'm not trying to be a *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. ***, but that seemed so wrong to me that I had to investigate.
-Lucretius

-Kurdt Kobain

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2622 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think stamp collecting went by the wayside due to Pitney Bowes - Being able to 'charge' your own machine, which you could only rent, and print your own stamps on a strip of tape, made going to the post office irrelevant, and as such larger denominations of stamps.

No, nothing to do with Pitney Bowes. A lot of people never heard of them before.

What killed stamp collecting is no one send letters anymore. The only things I get in the mail is bills and junk mail. In the old days before email, people send person letters and Christmas cards. That is how they communicate with each other.

My friend who works at the post office tells me letters are now only a small portion of their job. The vast majority of work at the post office involves parcels.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9877 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  02:17 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Online postage companies are likely a small contributor to the lack of stamp usage, and therefore, stamp collecting.
-Lucretius

-Kurdt Kobain

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but that seemed so wrong to me that I had to investigate

I also thought so, but didn't think too much of it since I never pay with cash. Cash is now refused in some businesses in Europe so I figure the same had started happening here as well. Because it will.

So in this case I'm thinking maybe it's because my son is only 15 and they were worried about card fraud? Since he doesn't have a driver's license yet...

I think we need to get to the bottom of this.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2314 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check canadian_coins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney

Quote:
What killed stamp collecting is no one send letters anymore. The only things I get in the mail is bills and junk mail. In the old days before email, people send person letters and Christmas cards.

How ironic... the only thing I use cash for is for Christmas and Birthday cards.
Valued Member
Germany
425 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cash is now refused in some businesses in Europe

Let me asure you, only a very small portion of businesses refuse cash here in Europe -- so far.
Edited by redlock
07/20/2019 01:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6060 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next week I plan on visiting my Dad. We likely will be traveling to a very large are in OH where there are so very many country stores (Amish) spread out over a vary large area. While they can take a credit card. Its rare to see someone not handling money. No, its not the big city for sure, but being cashless is something not even thought of in places such as this. There are still so many places like this still left in non-urban areas.

I hope I never have to see the day where every cent I spend it traceable. Its no one elses' business where I spend my money, and it opens the door to even more targeted spam.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05