Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 S Morgan Dollar VAM 32?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  11:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cross-eyed to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two of these with the same die pair.I'm pretty sure the obverse is that of the VAM 32http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.c...81-S_VAM-32. With the die line in the "R" of LIBERTY.
The reverse I question though.The mint mark seams a little different.In the first m/m shown of the "Additional Photos" by LVA,where the "lines" inbetween the upper loop and the lower loops meet,they are straight up and down.On Mine they are at an angle.Also,I can't see a short spike,in the far left of the upper loop,indicated in the last LVA photo.
I have looked for the doubling towards the rim on TED, STATES OF AMERICA, motto, right wreath leaves, top leaves of left wreath and top of eagle's head with a microscope on 10x and 20x,a 10x loop,and for the life of Me,I can't see any lines or notches indicating doubling.Some pull away toning,but,no doubling.It's possible I don't know what I'm looking at I guess.?
There is no chip in "G" of GOD.
The angle of the die file lines,from the Eagles left wing down,are at another angle than Mine.Mine go down to the 4th leaf cluster,not the 5th.
This obverse is shared with VAMs 15 (again,no spike in the upper loop),16 (no chip on the right wing),and 21 (m/m tilts left,not right)
So,what say you?Is it a EDS of VAM 32,a different reverse die,or what's going on here?

No filled "G" in GOD.

Die file lines are at a different angle.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05