Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Kingdom Of Poland Coins By Monarch 1587 - 1795

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 150 / Views: 11,630Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay last one. I do have more but shouldn't post all at once. This one I got from the (H. Karolkiewicz: Triton IV auction) I think in 2000. Karl S. was representing me and he told me that I really should come to the auction in person to see the lots. 99% of the time, coin dealers give me bad advice but there are a few of them that are good and should be listened to. I do regret not seeing that auction in person. I'll get the weight and composition at a later date.

Thaler of Stanislaus II August Poniatowski, 1766, mint state
H. Karolkiewicz: Triton IV auction, New York, 2000,
I'll have to look up lot# when I get home. --yes it was lot 2450, tks tdziemia

Edited by Gallienus
11/27/2018 09:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really spectacular thalers, gallienus!

I think a nice Wladyslaw thaler like yours would be more like $2500 these days. As mentioned a bit earlier, it is very tough to get a decent coin from this reign, as he only issued half thalers, thalers and gold. I don't see any sales in CoinArchives for a Wladyslaw coin under $1,000 . Such a pleasure to see one here!

And the Stanislaus August was lot 2450 in the Triton IV Karolkiewicz auction. Looks nearly flawless. WOW! (my Jan Casimir Ort was lot 2298).
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  06:37 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John II Casimir. Lithuanian schilling 1653 with normal and inverted 3 in date. Last variant not published yet.

Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Learn More...
United States
18181 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  9:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another trio of larger Polish coins issued under the authority of John Casimir. There are two 30 Groschen dated 1663 and 1665 AD (Kopicki 1780 and 1789, respectively). These nicely bookend @paralyse's earlier post on this thread. Also, I have a 6 Groschen dated 1667 AD that is attributed as Kopicki 1686.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set of later silver Jan Casimir coins. I especially like the szostak/sechsgroschen with the "modern" longer hair style (a la Louis XIV of France).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  07:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some beautiful adds recently
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3307 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to make new photos of this great rarity of my collection a few days ago, but apparently either it had significantly darkened, I suck at making photos, I had terrible lighting, or, most likely, all of the above; either way, the resulting pictures had terrible contrast.

So I'm stuck with the terrible-quality but good-contrast photos from July 2017...

Elbing, Swedish occupation of, solidus, 1657.

Obverse: CAROL GVST D G, crowned CG monogram within inner circle
Reverse: SOLIDVS PRVSSIAE 57, arms of Elbing in cartouche within inner circle

KM# 65 (listed as "rare"), Numista 96629 (rarity 97 - only my example), Kopicki 9655 (R7, estimated 4-6 examples known).
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21767 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some great looking coins!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! R7 is truly impressive.

The unfortunate citizens of Elbing were invaded multiple times in the 17th century. Earlier we saw @spence's coins of ELbing minted in the name of Gustavus and then Christina of Sweden, when it was occupied in the 30 Years' War (1630s). In the 1650s Sweden and Russia both invaded Poland, and ELbing was again under Swedish control for some time. To top it off, an episode of plague killed over 1/3 of the population in 1709-1710. (Talk about BAD luck)

Here is a far more common coin, an ort minted in Bydgoszcz/Bromberg in 1668 with a portrait that closely matches the one on @spence's 6 groschen coin of 1667. This was the year that he would abdicate, and end the 80 year reign of the House of Vasa on the Polish throne. Note that this son of Sigismund III is still laying claim to the throne of Sweden (obv legend: Jan Casimir by the Grace of God King of Poland and Sweden). Kopicki 1774.

Edited by tdziemia
11/29/2018 5:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Elbing, Swedish occupation of, solidus, 1657.

Very nice. Photo taking is hard. However, I'm confused. Isn't a solidus supposed to be a gold coin?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4158 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no knowledge of ancient coins whatsoever, but I think there is a link to ancients embedded in your question.

In Poland, the solidus (schilling) was a silver coin with a silver content equal to about 1/3 that of the grossus/grosz/groschen.

Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In Poland, the solidus (schilling) was a silver coin with a silver content equal to about 1/3 that of the grossus/grosz/groschen.

Yes, this is correct. A solidus was a later Roman gold coin, broader in diameter than the aureus but only ~ 4.5 grams. I was curious if this was a denomination which was continued from antiquity and with time devolved from a high purity gold coin to a lower purity silver one?

I bid on the John Casimir thalers in H. Karolkiewicz in 2000, but got none. Thus when I saw one at auction last year I was able to get it.

Earlier I saw in this thread some explanation of typical thaler weights, finenesses, and also how many denars / schillings were in a thaler. Unfortunately I can't find that exact post. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

John Casimir, a more youthful portrait, thaler, 1649.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one which is pseudo-Polish. This thaler was struck in Polmerania in 1633 and was auctioned by one of the majors as "uncirculated" around 2001. Noone else was remotely interested in the piece, I phone bid, but there were no other bids & I remember thinking "what am I doing wrong?". It's clearly Germanic in style but my family's from the Polmeranian region in Poland so I had no choice... I should mention that the mark in the left field is a flan flaw: not a scratch.

I no longer have the attribution so if anyone can help?
Edited by Gallienus
11/30/2018 10:23 am
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  10:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last for today. This is The Targowica Confederation Thaler, almost uncirculated. (H. Karolkiewicz: Triton IV auction, NYC 2000, lot# 2476). This piece has a very small rim bang at 10:00 rev. This is one of the last thalers issued by Poland before the final partition in 1795.

Learn More...
United States
18181 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2018  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some super coins posted today @gallienus!

From my collection, here are three Szelags of Lithuania featuring John Casmir. The first is dated 1661 AD and attributed as Kopicki 3590. The next two are both dated 1665 AD, but the first one has the mintmaster initials GZH (Kopicki 3596) and the other has the mintmaster initials TLB/HKPL (Kopicki 3594).

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 150 / Views: 11,630Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05