Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Copy Coins Are Getting Better, Watch Out Newbies.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
488 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  1:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is there a section on the forum that discusses Copy Coins. I have seen several of them, and though they are easy to tell from real coins, they are getting better and if a person is not familiar with a genre of coins they could easily be deceived.
I've uploaded an example. I know to many of us here it my be quite obvious, but to the less informed it could be a costly lesson. We should at least make it clear that these copy coins are out there. The could easily slip one into a lot of coins.

Dan

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36828 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any chance of sharper pics? Very instructive, thanks for the heads up.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For key dates like this 1909-S, I'd always go for slabbed coins, where photos are shown on the NGC or PCGS website.

In fact, for any expensive coin (above $50 or $75), I'd stay away from raw coins, unless I'm getting them from a trusted source like the US mint, GSA, or bullion from APMEX, etc.
Learn More...
United States
72350 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, for any expensive coin (above $50 or $75),
I used to say my threshold was $200, but I broke through that after a certain nickel was bought at the last coin show (from a trusted dealer).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10848 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a difference between copy coins and counterfeit coins . Copies are supposed to say they are copies to prove they are not real . counterfeits are made to deceive the public .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
T-Bob, kind of my point. These are NOT marked copies. I've seen several and own a few coins marked copy. These are definitely Counterfeit.

Dan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8519 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  1:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There's a difference between copy coins and counterfeit coins . Copies are supposed to say they are copies to prove they are not real . counterfeits are made to deceive the public .

As an example:

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15405 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've uploaded an example. I know to many of us here it my be quite obvious, but to the less informed it could be a costly lesson.

There are Chinese fakes out there that are a lot better than that one. There are fakes that have been getting past the TPG's and getting into legitimate TPG slabs. For example specimens of this one have gotten into both PCGS and NGC slabs.

Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10848 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As I am not a fan of TPG's I have a question : Do they weigh , measure and test for metal content besides grading ?
If Chinese fakes are getting through PCGS and NGC perhaps more scrutiny is in order for those guys . From what I understand ,they only spend 3 seconds looking at obverse and another 3 seconds on reverse to grade and authenticate a coin . This is not good business for the hobby both collectors and dealers as well . I would suggest a biggie like the ANA to step in and DEMAND more tougher analysis for TPG obtaining to any coin valued at $500 or more .
JMHO ,
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dorado;

Here is my 1889 CC Morgan dollar compared to yours.

The difference being, MY 1889 CC Morgan dollar is fake. A copy coin, and not marked "Copy".

Dan
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15405 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do they weigh , measure and test for metal content besides grading ?

Not usually. Typically only if it is a coin they aren't sure of from the quick visual one over look.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12016 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
From what I understand ,they only spend 3 seconds looking at obverse and another 3 seconds on reverse to grade and authenticate a coin .

That's just one of the internet rumors that someone started a long time ago and so many people repeat it that people started believing it. They take the time they need too. Some coins are quick and easy and others take more time. Obviously they can't spend an hour on a 50 dollar coin, but there's no countdown or shot clock that says times up move on
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36828 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, but I also know they can be ruthlessly efficient for most coins most of the time.
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious, why no comments on the Morgan dollar comparison I posted ?

Dan
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05