Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are There Any New 1859 Dies Out There Not Listed In The Haxby Catalog?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  1:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It has been more than a year since any new 1859 cent dies have been reported and added to the Haxby catalog. I expect there are still some out there to discover.

I was wondering if any of the 1859 collectors out there have a coin that they think may have been struck by a die not listed.

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one I am still working on and cannot work out which one it is even with the clogged E
No die cracks

added 2 better photo's

Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
11/14/2018 2:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see why that one is tough to figure out Don. There's not much to go on.

It looks like a group J reverse to me, but after looking through the leaf 9 photos for J reverses, it doesn't quite look like any of them to me at first glance. It would be worth studying on this one.

Do you think the E of REGINA is clogged at the top, or could it possibly be a little damage making it look that way?

Some input and opinions from other 59er's would be helpful here.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this may help ---- looks clogged to me
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After doing some more studying on your coin, I think it may be an early state of PC59-501 (50 + J9) before there were any die cracks.

The closeup photo of the REGI shows a little re-punching on the bottom right of the G and at the top of the crossbar, so I started comparing and obverse 50 looks like the best match.

On the J9 reverse the stem to leaf 9 matches pretty well and there is a slight repunch at the top left of the 5 that matches also. The vine at leaf 2 also looks like a match.

That's my best guess from the photos.

Early state coins can be a real challenge when there's no major re-punching.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Phil310 I think you are correct.
This 1 had me baffled
Cheers Don

Edited by fourmack
11/15/2018 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres another 1 for you Phil310
I have made them black and white, easier to see.
I see thats its an early 1 as the vine is nearly joined on leaf 7
re leaf 9 could not find a match?

Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ouch

Pillar of the Community
United States
704 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is possible to be sure about that coin Don. In addition to the hole eliminating some of the details, the whole coin has been bumped around so much that the letters, stems and vines have all been flattened and thickened to the point that all evidence of doubling of letters and recut stems or vines have been eliminated.

The only thing I can see that might give a clue is the stem to leaf 9. If you look at the top profile of that stem, It looks like the stem of Reverse E9 from die pair 71 (7 + E9). No other leaf 9 stem has that sharp angle downward. The thickening of the coin details could easily account for the bottom profile of that stem looking different from the E9.

When studying 1859's sometimes you have to use your imagination, not to the point of seeing something that is not there, but imagining how something that is there could exist in the state it is as a result of conditions the coin went through after it left the mint.

Low grade and damaged coins are still worth studying for possible new dies. Any dies that have not been identified yet would have to be pretty rare and may not even exist in high grades, so it pays to check every 1859.

Thanks for posting those Don.
Edited by Phil310
11/19/2018 07:44 am
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1442 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow you are good

Thanks Phil310
Cheers Don

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05