Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Apollo 11 Commems - Released January 24th, 2019

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 53,773Next Topic
Page: of 58
Pillar of the Community
United States
4835 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now THAT would be an awesome graded slab ..and it would weigh around 50 ounces

Despite the mintage I will definitely be in for a couple of the thin crust version (not the Chicago Style above) because:

1) Proof puck ..I mean saucer

2) curved (or concave) planchet

3) MAYBE a flow of design into the edge

Not an "all in" coin but definitely a curiosity item

Edit: I forgot

4) It's worth a buck instead of a quarter
Edited by Foxwoods Man
11/26/2018 08:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good point, the 5 oz. saucer is worth a dollar, 4 times more than those ATB pucks :)I wish they would make the denomination on these closer to their real silver content value or at least half.
Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Turns out the $1 coin will not have the same specs as an ASE.
26.7 vs 31.1 grams. Really close in diameter- 1.50 vs 1.59.
Why not just give them the same specs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fairly sure the specs listed on the Mint's webpage have a typo.

Past commemorative silver dollars have weighed 26.73 gm (as stated), were 1.5 inches (38.1mm) in diameter (as stated) and were 90% silver, not the stated 99.9%. The authorizing law says at least 90%, so it might not be a typo, but I suspect it is. If it is a typo, then the same typo is on the American Legion commemorative dollar page as well.

The 26.73 gm, 38.1 mm and 90% silver have been the specs for silver dollars since 1840 and past commemorative silver dollars have conformed to these specs.

There's also a typo for the 5 ozt coin (it says 3 inches in thickness). Whoever is proof reading the Mint's web page content before publication needs a little more attention to detail.
Edited by BadDog
11/27/2018 9:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4835 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  07:38 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are the 2014 HOF specs for the dollar..similar curved design:

Quote:
Specifications
Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper
Diameter: 1.500 inches ( 0.005) 38.10 mm ( 0.127)
Weight 26.73 grams
Overall Height 0.243 inch ( 0.010)

So I would say 90% silver for the Apollo buck...as always
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2018  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 26.73 gm, 38.1 mm and 90% silver have been the specs for silver dollars since 1840 and past commemorative silver dollars have conformed to these specs.
Correct. Commemorative silver dollars have always been based on the circulating large dollar size, not the ASE.
United States
35 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mickeydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an actual pic of the 5 oz.

Pillar of the Community
United States
696 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2018  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's really nice! Makes me want one now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3) MAYBE a flow of design into the edge

Looks like this photo shows a normal reeded edge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4835 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  07:41 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting....can't say I can see any reeding on the edge. It looks like the edge of every other 5 ouncer

I just wish the mintage was 50k instead of 100k...50k is still way too high but reasonable...at maybe $200/per these will not sell ANYWHERE near 50k
Edited by Foxwoods Man
12/14/2018 07:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4835 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will correct myself....reeded edge is correct

Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics! I'm in for one, they sure look nice! The silver saucer will be flying soon :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't really tell the finish of this coin from the Mint's webpage, but the photo mickeydog posted shows it well.

It looks sort of unique to me. The reverse(helmet side) of the coin looks pretty much like a normal frosted proof with brilliant fields and frosted devices. The obverse looks more like a reverse proof, with the major device, the footprint, being brilliant with the fields and minor devices being frosted.

I can't think of any other coin that has different finishes on the two sides

Quote:
Interesting....can't say I can see any reeding on the edge.

IMHO in mickeydog's photo it's easiest to see where the two coins touch. The reeding is also reflected on the reverse of the coin in that area.
Edited by BadDog
12/14/2018 8:21 pm
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty good. I have to say I have warmed up to the curve on these, especially since I plan to keep them in the OGP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These look great! I like the footprint side slightly better than the helmet, which still came out better than I was anticipating.

It's not too surprising that they didn't manage to get "the design of the reverse of the coins continuing over what would otherwise be the edge of the coins, such that the reverse design extends all the way to the obverse design". Maybe they can experiment with medals, where they have more freedom with the process.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Page: of 58 Previous TopicReplies: 869 / Views: 53,773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05