Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Apollo 11 Commems - Released January 24th, 2019

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 51
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  09:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I will go for 69 graded pieces if they are below issue price.

If you're able to go to coin shows (the larger the better), you should be able to find 69's that look perfect. In my silver eagle collection, I have only one that's graded. It's a PF-69. I can't find a flaw on the coin and I'm pretty picky retentive. I've seen PR-70's that don't look perfect.
5 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jbuck thank you :-)

@Bret: I agree with you and also in my opinion, there are way too many 70's and why should I pay so much premium. For most modern coins 70's are not rare. But I can't deny that some coins are really rare in 70 grade like many UNC clad coins.

I bought the new Apollo gold PR69 first day for about $380. Free grading and less than issue price. ^^
Pillar of the Community
United States
1160 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought the new Apollo gold PR69 first day for about $380. Free grading and less than issue price. ^^

Awesome deal. The PR69's are treated as a byproduct of the PR70's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought the new Apollo gold PR69 first day for about $380. Free grading and less than issue price

WOW That type of deal doesn't come around every day. Do you mean it was going to be graded for free? by which TPG?

Just wondering how you got it graded on the first day of release, as grading normally takes weeks after release (unless the release corresponds with a show where show grading is going on)
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Taphandle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems not everyone will be waiting until October for the Saucer. I hadn't checked my email for a couple days and this morning UPS was knocking on the door with one of the two 5oz Saucers I ordered. Very nice looking coin in person and I didn't realize the packaging would be different than the ATB's but is in a much nicer and heavier flip open box. Still not worth the difference imho but still happy with it. Now to wait for the second one. Hope some of you will be getting yours soon.
Learn More...
United States
68289 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Apollo Au Half Eagles are no longer on back order.
5 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smile4art to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought it on ebay. ;-) Just check the past auctions for PR69 gold. Several pieces (some are first day graded) have been sold for less than issue price for around $380. Same for MS69. And there are more for sale. Keen to see the end prices for upcoming auctions.

For me it was good. Paid less than US mint and it is graded. ;-)
Edited by smile4art
03/16/2019 06:43 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I get it now. You recently bought a graded, first day of issue coin on eBay for less than the Mint issue price.

From your original post, I thought you were saying that you bought an ungraded coin on the first day of issue and somehow got free grading.

My mistake
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have and Always would prefer to " roll the dice " at the U S mint. To see the chances of being sent a PF-70 or an MS-70 coin or coins. I take that chance after, at times, having to surf the bay. Only there You never know what You may receive, being the posted photo's are standard from the mint's site anyway. I'd rather buy at the posted cost and feel I have more than a 80/20 chance to receive a sweeter coin, knowing the price may be less on the bay, is only a lure to pick-up others less than perfect coins, Just My opinions.......
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So to be clear, there are some who would rather take a known graded coin, 69 or less than perfect, then take the chance of receiving a perfect coin, for most of the time, a cheaper OGP coin........
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11630 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So to be clear, there are some who would rather take a known graded coin, 69 or less than perfect, then take the chance of receiving a perfect coin, for most of the time, a cheaper OGP coin........

Why's that a head scratcher?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  08:22 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Many here have said that they can see no difference between a 69 and a 70 graded coin...so if that is the case then there would be no reason NOT to just buy a graded 69 especially if it is cheaper than the OGP coin from the Mint OR the OGP coin is no longer available from the Mint.

I think it makes more sense than rolling the dice with OGP purchases at a discount from dealers. Those are being sold at that price for a reason.....been there, done that (bought them, not sold them)
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Check captainrich's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add captainrich to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many here have said that they can see no difference between a 69 and a 70 graded coin...so if that is the case then there would be no reason NOT to just buy a graded 69 especially if it is cheaper than the OGP coin from the Mint OR the OGP coin is no longer available from the Mint.

I believe TPG Service registries are the reason there is a high demand for 70 graded coins... Gotta keep up with your fellow registry competitors.
Pillar of the Community
United States
866 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2019  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So to be clear, there are some who would rather take a known graded coin, 69 or less than perfect, then take the chance of receiving a perfect coin, for most of the time, a cheaper OGP coin

IMHO, when it comes to modern commemoratives:
- 69s can typically be found at cheaper price than the Mint issue price after a year or so, sometimes sooner, sometimes later, but VERY few cost more than MIP
- TPG slabs typically offer better storage protection than OGP
- TPG slabs are much less bulky than OGP and are easier to store
- Most OGP coins are not 70s, even when received new, directly from the Mint

Seems easy to see why some prefer a TPG graded 69 coin versus rolling the dice with the Mint.
Page: of 51 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.29 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05