Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Apollo 11 Commems - Released January 24th, 2019

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 58
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Even more recent was just last year. The BCA coins used the same design on all coins. I'm not a fan of this and would prefer different designs on the different coins.

I'm not a fan of it either and think it's lazy. That said I can understand why they would for the curved coins as the curve itself limits what designs can work, but for a normal coin there's no excuse
Pillar of the Community
United States
1175 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Foxwoods for posting the prices. I'm in for one 5oz saucer and 5 of the special half sets. Still up in the air on any of the others, maybe the silver buck?
Valued Member
United States
307 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm planning on buying the Apollo gold. I'm wondering which is the better buy, the proof, or the unc version? I suspect most people will want the proof coin and the unc coin will be produced in far smaller numbers. Then again, I'm guessing the coins are already produced and that at some point during the ordering period (9:00-9:05 a.m. EST) folks who order the proof will be told to order the proof and you'll have to get the unc or get nothing at all. Is there an example of a U.S. coin produced in proof and unc where the only difference was the finish and the unc ended being valued significantly more than the proof?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2019  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm planning on buying the Apollo gold. I'm wondering which is the better buy, the proof, or the unc version?

Well... that's a good question and the answer depends entirely on your personal goals in collecting. Historically, the UNC have had, as you mentioned, fewer sales than their Proof counterparts. Depends on what you want though. Do you like the contrast of the fields and devices on the Proof coins or does the matte finish appeal to you more?

I think I will go for the proof initially due to the nature of the coin... curved, and modeled after the highly-reflective visor of an Apollo space suit helmet, so I think the proof suits this well. On the other hand, someone mentioned before that the boot print in the lunar dust was better suited to the uncirculated finish... so I may have to suck it up and buy both!
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They're calling it an enhanced reverse proof. Not sure how much different it will be from a reverse proof, but definitely got my interest.
Funny, I thought I had typed (enhanced) because I went to the Mint page to verify it. Oh well.

I wonder the same.

My guess is it will be enhanced like the 2017 Liberty medal (I love the contrast on that one) and double struck using proof dies and planchets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Am I still correct in seeing that the special Kennedy half will only be offered in the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary 2019 Proof Half Dollar Set? If so, I think that's the set to get and check out fast, even though I do think that it's overpriced and should be silver. I'll do that and then go back and order the other stuff that I want. Ultimately it doesn't matter because I have to pay for three shipments anyway before the rest are free.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I plan to get all I want in one shot. I will have all of the product pages loaded. Wait until noon. F5 add to bag, repeat. Checkout. I hope that works.
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
plan to get all I want in one shot.

Same here. At least that's the plan for now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think y'all will be ok. But if it does sell out that fast, I told you so. :)
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll grab a few sets and the gold, then come back for the rest when I get free shipping.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think y'all will be ok. But if it does sell out that fast, I told you so. :)
Since the new Mint website went online, I think the "latest" I have completed a sale was 12:06 PM ET. A couple of those had multiple items (the hot item plus whatever else I needed at the time). Of course, those other needed items were already in my bag. This one will be trickier, but that is what tabbed browsers are for.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likewise -- I haven't had an issue with the new web site. Maybe a little bit of lag on big releases but everything has been smooth sailing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming the website works as it should and doesn't lag, there could still be enough buyers for something to sell out before everyone who has it in their cart checks out. I doubt it will happen with this though. I would bet that the first to sell out will be the half set with the Kennedy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1175 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think the special half set will be the best seller at opening bell. What does everyone else think will be the quickest sell out? Which offering do you think will sell out 2nd quick?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the gold then half set. The Frisbee is the only other thing with a chance of a sellout.
Page: of 58 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05