Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Wonder How this Julian II AE-1 Would Have Cleaned Up?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2074 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  10:27 am Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was bidding on this uncleaned Julian II AE-1, but dropped out and didn't win the coin.

It was an intriguing cleaning challenge. The coin appears to have some solid detail, but the encrustation on the lower part is pretty thick. Until the bidding got too high, I thought of buying it and trying electrolysis on it to see what was underneath.

However, when it got near $30 (including shipping), I thought the risk wasn't worth the investment.

You don't see big bronzes like this too often that present such a cleaning opportunity. It could end up being fairly decent, or a corroded pile of junk. I guess I won't find out now, but thought I'd share the photos.

Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3897 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it would clean up well - eventually. It should be said that electrolysis is not a good way to clean coins and very few coins, if any, would benefit from that sort of treatment. As a treatment, it is too destructive to be of wide spread use; keeping the patina intact is an important part of cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2923 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly would have let it go
If it was of Arles or Lugdunum I would have given it some extra thought
But Heraclea ? Naaaaa
When collecting this late period keep in mind that some mints are much more desirable
The Eastern mints were humming along
The West ? Not so much

Ben is correct that proper conservation of this coin might take a very very long time
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05