Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Love Token On Newfoundland Half Dollar Fraternal Or Religious Society?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,090Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  4:52 pm Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this love token on a Newfoundland 50 cents piece up today. Interesting symbols utilized CHF in ladder?, snake around sword (asciepius?), "2 1/2", "1690". Spent that last 2 hours searching the internet trying to tie it to a Fraternal organization or Religious society, but no luck. So I am posting here to see if anyone has any ideas as to it's attribution. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Edited by living-in-the-past
11/23/2018 5:55 pm
Learn More...
United States
103571 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting. I hope someone can offer some information for you.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11969 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  03:29 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I searched for a while and learned some stuff (nothing useful here), but made no progress in figuring the thing out. Of note:

The "ladder" has points at each end and is intentionally broken above the letter C.

1690 at the bottom has to be a date, and given the coin, has to be an origin date of whatever this represents. I couldn't find anything concerning that date.

CHF is most likely the initials of a person, especially given that the token is hand-carved. If it is the acronym of an institution, it may be too old and short-lived to make the accessible record.

The "snake and sword" may, indeed, be the Rod of Asclepius. In that case, it would represent the medical profession in some way, or healing in general.

For me, the "2 1/2" throws things off. That almost guarantees that it is a denomination of some sort, be it token value or not. That implies it is intended to be used at a certain venue. What venue was that?

I think the key is figuring out what the broken ladder with CHF means.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a very interesting coin engraving.

I did note a few things:

The coin has a Heaton mint mark 'H' which means that it was minted in 1872, 1876, or 1882.

When the British pound was worth $4.00 a shilling was worth 20 cents, thus 50 cents would be 2-1/2 shillings.

The year 1690 was the year of the Irish Battle of the Boyne.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both for the information. Certainly there are still many things to figure out about this one. Unfortunately the majority of its story may be lost to time!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2018  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interestimg. The 'ladder' has 2 1/2 rungs, as well.

As far as the CMF, I'm going with a person's initials.

A keeper, for sure.

Valued Member
United States
411 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that some boy made this for a girl to impress her with how religious he was in order to...

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2021  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check living-in-the-past's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add living-in-the-past to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it took me a while, but I think I finally figured this one out. The iconography on this "love" token represents symbols relating to the the Loyal Orange Institution, commonly known as the Orange Order. They are a Protestant fraternal order based in Northern Ireland and primarily associated with Ulster Protestants. The 2 1/2 is part of the description and badge of the Orange Order, specifically the Royal Arch Purple Degree. The ladder is Jacob's Ladder with (F)aith, (H)ope & (C)harity between the rungs which is similar to the Masonic symbolism. The snake and staff is call Aaron's rod. Finally 1690 represents the The Battle of the Boyne which was a battle in 1690 between the forces of the deposed King James II of England and Ireland versus those of King William III (William the Orange) who, with his wife Queen Mary II, had acceded to the Crowns of England and Scotland in 1689. The battle took place across the River Boyne close to the town of Drogheda in the Kingdom of Ireland, modern-day Republic of Ireland, and resulted in a victory for William. This turned the tide in James's failed attempt to regain the British crown and ultimately aided in ensuring the continued Protestant ascendancy in Ireland. I could only find one other Orange Order related "love" token and it has similar iconography. Interesting that this was engraved on a Newfoundland half dollar sometime between 1872 and 1882.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1925 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2021  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting - good work keeping at the research and getting that nailed down! Sounds plausible to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 1,090Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05