Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post A Coin Or Medal Devoted To A Military Subject

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 21,399Next Topic
Page: of 29
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2021  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1943 Canada.
5 Cents - George VI Victory; tombac.

United States
31 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam C vance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have in my possessions....found in the wild by my room mate then he put it in my dirty penny bag meant for coin star luckily it spit it out its a 1943 steel war effort Wheat penny it is magnetic still has it's full zinc coating and is graded around what EF-40+ or EF-45 I'm a big WWI WWII nerd and was HAPPY to get my first war time effort penny it's a peace of the past and shall not be forgotten this is my 1943 steel Wheat penny

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RE: 2005 Canada $10 Year of the Veteran coin:

Quote:
Interesting seeing something with no lettering.

I agree. It gives the coin a very medallic look. Of course, the obverse has all of the required inscriptions. I didn't have quick access to my coin to create an obverse image, so here's one courtesy of the Royal Canadian Mint ( RCM).

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2021  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice examples!

Quote:
I agree. It gives the coin a very medallic look. Of course, the obverse has all of the required inscriptions.
Overall still a clean design. Not as much required north of the border.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2021  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1997 State of Eritrea.
5 cents.

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1967 Greece.
5 Drachmai - Constantine II National Revolution; Regime of the Colonels.'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a pair of silver $5 Non-Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) coins of Canada that feature Elizabeth II reviewing the troops - she is doing so as Princess in the first, Queen in the second.

To learn a bit more about these two coins, check out my post: 2014-15 Princess to Monarch Silver $5

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a pair of silver $5 Non-Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT) coins of Canada that feature Elizabeth II reviewing the troops - she is doing so as Princess in the first, Queen in the second.
Fascinating!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2021  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2018 Canada.
2 Dollars - Elizabeth II Armistice.
Commemorative issue
100th Anniversary of the Armistice of 1918

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2021  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1917 Italy.
1 Lira - Vittorio Emanuele III

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
17227 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2014 $20 fine silver coin.
50th Anniversary of Canadian Peacekeeping in Cyprus .

Learn More...
United States
99075 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2014 $20 fine silver coin. 50th Anniversary of Canadian Peacekeeping in Cyprus .
Nice example!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5669 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2021  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of three Civil War-themed half dollars that were part of the classic US commemorative series: the 1936 Battle of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary coin. The issue of the coin was meant to coincide with the final Blue and Gray Reunion (i.e., the last reunion of surviving Civil War veterans) held in 1938; the coin was dated "1936" and struck in 1937, however, due to the early passage of its authorizing legislation..

The obverse of the Gettysburg coin depicts a pair of unnamed / unidentified soldiers, one for each side of the battle line. The portrait of a representative Union soldier (with mustache) is the front portrait of the conjoined pair, with the fully-bearded solider of the Confederacy presented behind him.

The coin's reverse presents the Union (left) and Confederate (right) shields with a fasces in between them; the fasces incorporates a double-bitted ax.

Commemorative inscriptions encircle the central design elements on both sides. "BLUE AND GRAY REUNION" on the obverse and "1863 - 75th ANNIVERSARY - 1938 - BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG" on the reverse. The coin is the work of Frank Vittor.

The Battle of Gettysburg took place July 1-3, 1863 and was one in which over 50,000 soldiers (combined) were either killed, wounded, captured or missing - it was the bloodiest battle of the American Civil War. The battle was a Union victory and prevented the Confederate Army from advancing further into the North; it is often referred to as the "turning point" of the war, in favor of the Union.

The Battle of Gettysburg is acknowledged as a key turning point in the US Civil War. For a great summary, I suggest checking out: American Battlefield Trust: Gettysburg.

1936 Battle of Gettysburg Half Dollar

If you'd like to learn more, I have previously posted about the Gettysburg coin:

- 1936 Battle Of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary
- 1936 Battle Of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary - Ephemera
- 1936 Battle Of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary - Ephemera II
- 1936 Gettysburg Half Dollar - House vs. Senate
- 1936 Battle Of Gettysburg 75th Anniversary - Coins with Stars Thread

Other of my commemorative coin posts can be quickly accessed here: Read More: Commems Collection

Edited by commems
04/22/2021 07:43 am
Page: of 29 Previous TopicReplies: 428 / Views: 21,399Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05
New