Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1794 Head Of 1794? Large Cent-Variety Confirmation & If It's Slab Worthy

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 649Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked this one up at a yard sale a few years back when I was not into varieties: an $ 89 purchase.

I recently attributed it myself and think it's a 1794 head of 1794 LC.

It also has 'ONE HUNDRED FOR A DOLLAR' stamped on the rim.

I want to have ideas on the correct variety, grade and if PCGS would slab it without rejecting it for some reason. I'd really like to avoid wasting a grading cert on a coin that will not qualify for a slab etc.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17029 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at first glance it is a head of 94, it is one of the early ones (S-22 - 44) and it would get a detail grade because of all of the rim dents and the damage in the field in the right obverse. No guarnatees because I rushed it but I think S-25.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  06:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I rushed it but I think S-25.

I wanted to revisit this 1C since Conder did a rush job. I agree with this attribution but wanted to see if other opinions possibly exist.

But for my own clarification I'd like some feedback on the large head of a 1794 difference between the attached large magnification photo showing the curl and the middle photo of three side-by-side photos both in CoinFacts.

The middle photo (large head of a 1794) of the comparative curls just does not seem to be the same as the attached close-up large head of a 1794 photo. I need some help to explain the apparent difference.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1644 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with head of 1795.
Cherrypicker/Error Collector
Best Coins:
1902 Indian cent Off Center
http://goccf.com/t/376888
1972-D Lincoln Cent Major Die Break
http://goccf.com/t/376595
Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say Head of 1794 because the 1795 has a curled tip that goes up past the 1 which mdpmedia's does not.
Edited by GMS5
10/05/2020 11:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2924 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2020  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless it's closely zoomed in on, the curled hair lock tip of the '95 is not apparent because it's color Is much lighter and blends in with the field's tone in the above Comparative example.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17029 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After S-44 through the end of the Liberty caps in 1796 LIBERTY is down close to the hair. It is only up high as is seen on this coin and S-17 thru S-43. The head of 95 varieties are S-68 thru S-72. So the head of 95 varieties all have LIBERTY down against the hair. So it ISN'T a head of 95.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 649Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05