Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Native American $1 Coin & Currency Set

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bret, I'd think its the 2nd option. It wasn't that hard to fix it, just have to be careful and take your time. It would have been easier for them to have just done it right in the first place though, but seemed to me like it was machine done and the dollar bills moved during the sealing process. I wish I'd taken pictures as I was doing it so it would be clear how I carefully got the cardboard frame off from around the plastic, then lifted the plastic and unseated the bill from the double sided white tape, centered it and closed it back up. I did it mostly by hand but probably the dull side of a butter knife or a putty knife would have made it easier and just work it carefully from the corners.

Upon opening it, I feel like they had these put together on an assembly line factory situation and when the top frame and plastic cover came down that little bit of wind shifted the dollar out of position and into the seal. none of it appeared like what you'd expect to see if it were done by hand. the white double sided foam tape for instance is rectangular and once piece, well placed, and covers most everything that's not the clear viewing window under the cardboard rectangular frame, and you don't have to remove that tape to get at the clear plastic lens open. I would have expected to see the placements less perfect if it was hand closed as far as that tape is concerned. even the dollar didn't get a bend in it from going over the lip of the clear lens, I really expected it to have one from getting caught up there.

I would think they are going through what they have and fixing them before continuing to sell them, that would be my guess.

On another note, I'm really pleased with the coin in this set. I just wish there was more room to view the edge.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2019  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scott7721 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No question it's a machine error, which I can certainly understand. I do not understand the conscious decision to ship display items that cannot display correctly, or (possibly) not even look at the finished product. No dealer wants to display these. I did consider using a wire through the glued side of the packaging, but decided it wasn't my job. I sent them back and am waiting for the replacements.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ldp2323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed the Mint on Monday and this was the response I received from them on Thursday.

"We have submitted the request for you to be emailed a prepaid return label. Allow 1 to 2 business days to process and 3 to 5 business days for the UPS prepaid return label to be received. Unfortunately, we are unable to exchange the item we are only able to offer a refund."

I ordered 3 sets, all off center. I fixed 2 of them and will go ahead and fix the 3rd one as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not good. Perhaps they are considering the dollar bills damaged. If that's the case, they may not be able to print replacements which means that the dollar coins returned would not be able to be sent out. This might be a rarity in the making. Or, the information conveyed to ldp2323 might just be incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time. I'm really hesitating on returning mine.
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's a generic response because they are on backorder.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ldp2323. According to sales figures there are still over 20k sets left, so you could purchase again after they come off of backorder status. As mentioned before they might be on backorder to address the quality issues, but maybe not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I attempted a fix on one of mine as Big-Kingdom suggested. I used a dull knife to slide through the adhesive bond to the hardboard and was able to pop the flap with no damage. The note had adhesive (reminds me of contact cement) on its reverse in the left margin that had gotten caught under the foam tape that I had to gently rub off with my fingers. That's the part that took the longest, and left a very small smudge in the margin on the back of the note, which will never be seen as long as it stays in the OGP.

I'll fix my 2nd one that way too. I certainly shouldn't have had to do it, but all-in-all it was a relatively easy fix and I didn't have to bother with returns/swaps. Thanks for the encouragement, B-K.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ldp2323 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may purchase another set if/when they become available. One would think they'd fix the problem before sending more out. At this point, I don't want to take the chance of returning them and ending up with nothing!

I agree with CelticKnot, the fix wasn't as bad as I thought it might be.
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I peeled the cardboard of the package up careful not to bend or fold it and realigned the dollar which was stuck in the foam tape (correct, no amount of tapping would have moved it back into alignment) and then pressed the edge back down on the tape and resealed it no worse for the wear. Pictures attached of the fished product. If you look at it from the edge you'll see what I'm talking about. It can be done if done carefully and take your time like trying to peel off a sticker without destroying it.

I did something similar, the problem is that the bill then has residue from the glue on it. Over time I would expect that to become noticeable as it ages. So I decided to return and replace it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Andy, as I mentioned, my notes had the adhesive residue on them too, but it was fairly easy to rub off - it's kind of like contact cement where it's very tacky but doesn't infiltrate the note itself. Guess that's water under the bridge now - hope your replacements are better!
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
623 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rolled a round toothpick under my bill between the bill and the tape while applying a light tug on the free part of the bill so it wouldn't get restuck and release it from the adhesive slowly and it came off without glue residue, although I don't think it was my method that much, probably just luck and it being stuck, but not stuck, stuck, stuck.

Worst case I don't think they could detect if you did tamper with it carefully and then decided you wanted to return it unhappy how it turned out, it seals back up nicely. But they do have that 7 day after delivery rule to returns.

Gonna be honest here though, I bought the set for the coin and the coin is nice in my opinion, and nothing wrong there. I have plenty of dollar bills in my wallet LOL, nothing special about the bill at all, they should have done star notes or something I think. Maybe someone gets "19591959" that's about it though.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
08/13/2019 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
751 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone actually get the return shipping label yet?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1315 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, but they're available for sale again. I just bought two more along with my rp innovation dollars. I'll let y'all know if these have the sliding dollar issue fixed or not.
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05