Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Are Your Numismatic Goals For 2019?

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
hfjacinto how many sets did you start and complete in 2019?

I'm 50 years old and have been collecting ever since I can remember. I was born in Portugal and my dad used to work in the merchant marines so I would get coins from all over the world and a few I picked up from my grandmother. This is the oldest Portuguese coin I have.

My mom was in Portugal this year and this was a coin I had collected when I was 7, I had a good eye, this is 65% AG.

When we moved to the US, I was given a few silver and old cents. I saved all of those. In my 20's I got serious for a few years and picked up small cents and completed a few coin folders (I still have those). Same coins but I got new folders.

I never lost interest but never was super serious about collecting so I picked up a few coins here and there, mostly for how they looked.

Since I was always interested in Astronomy, I took that up as a hobby. And started taking Astrophotos. I got pretty good and had several gallery showing, was published and sold a large number of prints. Last year, I wanted to get some silver so I picked up a few ASE and got a few coins to complete some of the series I had like a small set of Mercury dimes (from 1937 to 1945) and got a few IHC, pretty much 1880 to 1909 (less the 1908 and 1909 S). Talking to my mom she said my dad had a few coins and since she had no interest she gave them to me. Most weren't in great condition, so I sold these as bullion and decided to revisit what I had started but not finished.

The small cents was my first revisit, and other than 2 key dates (1914-D and 1909 S VDB) I had them all. This was one of my folders with the missing ones.

So in 2019 I took the best and picked up a few more sets and completed the small cents. A lot of what I did was take the best I had and just put them in new albums. I did pick up a lot of albums this year though. Coins just look better in albums.

I then went to the IHC and picked up what I was missing (and remember I buy raw coins, so what most people for an MS state slabbed coin I get a lot more). With the that I completed the full small cents.

As I was into it now I also got the remaining Mercury dimes and I finished the 20th century type set but 90% of the coins I had.

BUT the one set I started as I had none and completed in 2019 was the Peace dollars. But again, I have a local coin shop that sells coins at VERY VERY good prices. Most of the Peace dollars are from the AU bin and other than the 1928 and 1921 all were under $40. Only the 1928, 1921 and 1935 cost more than $60. These are what AU Peace dollars look like, at $17 each, I can't go wrong:

With a small budget going to the LCS once a week, I can get a few raw coins and add to my collection. The Mercury dimes was with the money I wasn't spending on lunch (I would take my lunch to work instead of buying it)

Some people want the best, I have no interest in the best of anything I buy what I like at a price I feel comfortable. So while it may look like I did a lot this year, I did but what I really did was complete what I had started a long time ago.

Quote:
Nice Peace dollar set.

Thank you :)
Edited by hfjacinto
11/17/2019 9:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buy more types, finishing my Dansco 7099
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4576 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto- Very nice!!

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Valued Member
Canada
438 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto, I liked your narrative.

I will post my 2019 update closer to year end. I'm on the verge of completing a few sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4127 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice hfjacinto.
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Valued Member
Canada
112 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Collection hfjacinto! I definitely have a way to go to become that organized..
Learn More...
United States
81250 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2391 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The year is almost over, and my goals were hardly what I would have wanted, but most of the money I have earned selling coins the last five years has gone toward making payments on our two cars.

In December 2014 my wife's car was totaled in an accident (fortunately, she was not hurt) and just over a month later my car died unexpectedly. So we went from no car payments to two payments.

My goal has been to get both new cars paid off. I accomplished goal #1 earlier this month when I was able to pay off my wife's car six months early.

I am working to get mine paid off by next July.

Then, I will have coin money that is my money! I cannot wait.

I have added some coins to my collection over the last nearly five years, but not a whole lot of them.
Paul Bulgerin
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2881 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@hfj, you've made tremendous progress on those sets, and I like your attitude. Sometimes we get the coin we dream of, sometimes we settle.

5 weeks ago, I gave an update on my 15th/16th c. Kingdom of Poland OFEY:

Quote:
At this point I am missing only one date for Sigismund I (1516), three dates for Sigismund II (1553,54,59), the tough interregnum year of 1573
. I got lucky in an auction over the weekend, and landed one of the coins I thought might take much longer, this 1573 denar from the interregnum year 1573 (Sigismund II had died in 1572, and a new king would not ascend the throne until 1574.

So, for my 16th century OFEY, I started 2019 at 40/83 and am now at 78/83.
This is VERY good news, because somebody in my house is making big travel plans for 2020, which is NOT compatible with my coin buying habits from 2019.

Edited by tdziemia
11/18/2019 10:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2019  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ha!! I get that also! We did 3 trips this year, I said nothing as she let me buy coins on 2 of the trips (Seattle and San Diego)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4576 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hfjacinto- (or anyone)

I'm just wondering what kind of Whitman type set album that is? No slots for type II Buffalo, Shield nickels or No Cent Liberty? Aren't those type coins?

Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's this one

https://www.coinsupplyexpress.com/w...BEgLU2fD_BwE

It's only for the 20th/21st century. I picked this one as several coins in the Dansco are beyond what I would pay.
Edited by hfjacinto
11/19/2019 09:03 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4576 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, okay. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
971 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And with the 16-D my 2019 goals are complete.. Time for 2020!!

I posted about it here: http://goccf.com/t/359051&whichpage=3#3100003

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8401 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Check TNG's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My goals were on 12/12/18

Quote:
To photograph my Jefferson nickels and sell many of the extras I have. Keep up with my set with any new ones.
Also update my Canadian and Australian 5 cent issues. Maybe find one or three of the numismatic medals I am still after.

Turns out I didn't sell or photograph the Jefferson nickels, I did bring my Jeffersons, Canadians and Australian 5 cent issues up to date and instead of picking up one or three numismatic medals I was after, I may have picked up a couple/few hundred instead and did photograph all those Exonumia newcomers and cataloged them.
That turned out to be the most fun and educational experience I've had in collecting in many years.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05