Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

One Side Blank Canadian Error Coin , Other Side Is The Queen

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  11:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey I am pretty certain I have a coin that was struck on only one side , I believe two coins entered the striking chamber at once . Resulting in both outsides of the coins being struck leaving the insides blank.

Edited by Wolf705247
12/14/2018 1:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1779 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a raised edge on the blank side of this coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28457 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  12:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Weight?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what you mean by raised edge I will take a better picture closer up
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight is 2.7 grams ( 2.667g to be exact )
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone have an idea of what this coin is worth I can't seem to find any information about another one like it ?
Canada
41 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BCTokens to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

The portrait is the one used 1965-1978. The correct weight during this period is 3.24 grams. Given the weight of your example, I would suspect post mint damage, i.e. somebody filed off the image on the other side.

Jan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
6999 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry but not an error.
Lack of rim on Reverse indicates that coin has been ground down.
The weight indicates that it is lighter than normal due to the removal
of the devices.

Don't argue with an idiot, he will beat you with experience.
Edited by JimmyD
12/14/2018 1:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1779 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by raised edge

If you look at the obverse (Queen side) of the coin you'll see a rim around the outside of the coin. I was asking if you saw the same on the blank side.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39342 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'll see, but guessing it's been ground down.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe it has be filed down I believe it was struck in 1980-1981 when they reduced the weight.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wolf705247 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No there is no rim on the flat blank side. There wouldn't be a rim if it had struck two blank planchets at the same time you would not see an edge.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe two coins entered the striking chamber at once . Resulting in both outsides of the coins being struck leaving the insides blank.

Quote:
I don't believe it has be filed down I believe it was struck in 1980-1981 when they reduced the weight.

Quote:
There wouldn't be a rim if it had struck two blank planchets at the same time you would not see an edge.

Ya never know.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2328 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I believe it was struck in 1980-1981 when they reduced the weight.

if it was struck in 1980-81, then it would be 2.8 grams,

if it was struck in 1982, when the weight was decreased then the coin would be 12 sided.
Valued Member
Canada
354 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2018  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Talonbat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The design that is on that coin is from 1979, 1980, 1981 with corresponding weights of 3.24, 2.8, 2.8. No matter what the coin is underweight. The coin rimming happens before the strike so it should be on both sides. If by some miracle two blanks somehow got in the chamber the collar would not be able to engage which would result in a broadstrike which this is not. Normally when you get a "uniface" coin it either made to be uniface, a trial/pattern, or a strike through die cap(you would see some ghosting at the very least).

Hopefully an error expert can also chime in.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05