Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Litra From The Sicilian City Of Messana (445 To 439 Bc)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11357 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  9:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd love to stick with just buying tets as I build out my Greek collection, but the practicality of life means that sometimes I need to be satisfied with smaller silver coins. Here is a good example...a Litra from Messana in Sicily. The ivy leaf below the hare and the specific lettering in the olive wreath on the rev (MEΣ) help to establish a date range of 445 to 439 BC, although I am trying to embrace the fact that these ancient coins probably cannot ever be definitely dated in many cases. For example, it was listed as being from a bit later in the 400s BC. For attributions, I have it as GC&V #391 and Caltabiano 398ff. However, I'm open to other attributions from those who know more about this stuff that I do!

If anyone would like to post their own coins of Messana, please feel free to add on to this thread. I can see a few other CCF threads discussing them, but none, I think, featured the relatively tiny Litra:

http://goccf.com/t/291146
http://goccf.com/t/110667

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
22331 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat coin Dave, congrats.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05