Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bracteate Quedlinburg Abbey

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  1:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
All this talk on another forum made me finally buy this one. It had been on my watch list for a while so I made an offer to the seller yesterday and he accepted!

I have been after one of these for at least 2 years but whenever they appear they seem to sell quickly and the price can go sky high. This one is not perfect it has some wear so it is not one of the very expensive bracteates , but it will fit nicely into my collection.

Why did I want this coin? Well, the main reason is the historical significance. The abbey of Quedlinburg was granted permission to mint its own coins. Women were in charge of the abbey and so this is one the rare instance where women were in control of the minting process and could issue coins. That alone is interesting enough for me to want this coin.

The abbey also has a long and fascinating history. It is associated with Henry the Fowler and in a strange way with Heinrich Himmler.

Please post your bracteates here.

Bracteate. Quedlinburg Abbey
Gertrud Von Anwart (1233-1270)
VF. Rare
Ref: Bonhoff--, Cappe--, Mehl 243

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Edited by orfew
12/30/2018 1:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4082 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pickup, Andrew. Another instance of a long wait paying dividends in the end.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2950 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2018  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spent a day in Quedlinburg away back in July of 1980
Unfortunately for me my tour guide (cousin Hans) started our days with beer well before noon !
I'm afraid my memories are a bit ...... foggy
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
22149 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  02:05 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool coin Andrew.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin and nice history!

I do not (yet) have any bracteates to post, but would like to build on the thread with the following. Kempten in Bavaria is a place which has had a strong cult of Saint Hildegard since shortly after her death in 1179. Hildegard founded female religious communities at Rupertsberg and Eibingen, in the Palatinate, but I don't think either of these minted coins. There are, however, bracteates from the Kempten Abbey dating to the beginning of the 13th century which bear her image. I'm not sure I have run across an earlier representation of a post-biblical female saint on a coin.

I have posted this much later coin from Kempten city bearing her image on the German States thread (it's dated a bit too late for the ancients and medieval thread, but ...):

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the kind words.

@Tdziemia
Wow, thanks for posting that coin. I love it. I now have to find one for my own collection. What a wonderful image of Hildegard.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.57 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05