Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Iding Two Ayyubid, Artuquid, Or Zenghid Copper Dirhams

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone, I just picked up these two Dirhams from a reputable dealer.
I've searched around, but I haven't been able to find any info about these Ayyubid, Artuquid, or Zenghid Copper Dirhams.

Any help IDing would be really appreciated! (Sorry that the reverse images may be upside down).

Learn More...
United States
22484 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first one is Artuquids, Quab al-Din Sukman (II) b Muhammad 1185-1200. SS type 14.

I'm having some difficulty with the other. I was think it might be Zengid of Al-Jazira, Al-Mu'azzam Mahmud 1209-1251. SS type 88 but I'm not sure. Kushanshah will be able to verify it or not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
echizento- Great! Thank you very much for the help.
Pillar of the Community
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with echizento on the first: Artuqids of Amid & Hisn Kayfa, Qutb al-Din Sukman II, 1185-1200, without mint name, AH 594, citing the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir.

The second is Ayyubids, Branch in the Jazira, al-Ashraf Musa, 1199-1210, Sinjar mint, AH 617 with title "Shah Arman" (Shah of Armenia), also citing the 'Abbasid caliph al-Nasir and Ayyubid overlord al-Kamil Muhammad. Balog 855.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3408 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kushanshah- awesome. Thanks for the help with the second coin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3004 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  10:50 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By sheer co-incidence I have gathered up a few Artuqid 's these past few months
They are truly marvelous coins and must have been quite impressive at the time
Considering the "competition" of the 11th & 12th centuries
I found this similar one rather 'haunting' (like a face from a thousand years past looking back at you) in appearance and the attribution elusive !
I believe I can see some differences in the reverse script
So the attribution must be slightly different
I shall post some others on their own later

8.74 grams 26-8mm

IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United States
730 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@FVRIVS Your coin is actually the same as the one above. The central legend reads al-malik al-mas'ud / Qutb al-Dunya wa al-Din Sukman / bin Muhammad bin Qara / Arslan. The margin contains the name of the caliph. The date is written out in words on the obverse.

[edit] Translation: "the king the fortunate, / Axis of the World and of the Faith, Sukman / son of Muhammad son of Qara / Arslan". Qara Arslan is "Black Lion" in Turkish.
Edited by Kushanshah
01/03/2019 8:23 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05