Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lower Canada LC-5a - What Happened Here ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
336 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2019  02:31 am Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got this in a lot of 75/100 Colonial tokens and large cents for a dollar or two each, 10 to 15 years ago. I threw it into the junk pile and took care of business with the other coins.

Later, I was going to sell it off in a lot of crappy coins until I had a look at the other side and thought it was too strange to get rid of. I had thought it was just a banged up coin, but with a second look, both sides still have a raised rim, and one side looked too good for the token to have been beaten so much.

It weighs 7.84 grams and is 29.5 mm wide (my 5 other LC-5A's are 8.18 to 8.40 gms. and 28 mm.). It is thinner than the others but is larger in diameter so it has obviously been flattened.

Most of the "UN SOU" side is slightly raised, with a deep groove on the left. The higher parts slope down to a very narrow raised rim (much wider at the top of the token).

The "bouquet" side is lower than the rim. The rim slopes down for a bit and then the field rises slightly again and is flat.There is a remnant of the letters of "AGRICULTURE" remaining at 10:30 to 11:30 on the bouquet side. They look overlapped as if struck more than once.

I can't see how the rims and bouquet side would be so smooth and unmarked if this was just the result of being hammered somehow. Is it possibly an old die cap ?

Edited by TerryT
01/03/2019 02:37 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05