Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sales Tax. Is Vcoins Doing This As Ebay Has Made A Major Independent Move.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a seller at the moment (I have in the past), but eBay's policy is pretty clear -- they are not the seller.

Quote:
You are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with using eBay as an eBay seller. ... The Supreme Court ruled in favor of South Dakota in June 2018, which removed the requirement that certain retailers have a physical presence in a state in order for that state to impose sales tax obligations on retailers. Regardless of where you're physically located, if you do business in certain states, those states may require you to collect applicable taxes on your transactions.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alpha2814;

Then we have circled back to me being the seller and eBay providing the service to me of forced collection of taxes. But I only sold 80 grand in coins this year and certainly very little of that went to any one particular state. So the law as written in Washington is, applying to me:
--->Remote seller retail sales tax registration thresholds (For TOTAL annual sales in Washington)
Less than $10,000 199 or less transactions, You do not need to register or collect tax.
Assuming no Physical Presence in Washington State<---

So why is this what an invoice to Washington State Looks like? And I can't edit this.
But the law says I don't collect this for the above reason.

VF+! Julia Mamaea, Augusta, Silver Denarius Rome, 226 AD. IVLIA MAMAEA AVG
1 $22.01 $22.01
Shipping and handling: $2.00
Sales tax: 8.90%

Order summary
Subtotal (1 item)$22.01
Shipping via USPS First Class Package$2.00
Sales tax:$2.14
Estimated total $26.15
Edited by louisvillekyshop
01/07/2019 6:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then I refer you first to Kushanshah's post, quoting "Effective October 1, 2018, out-of-state businesses without a physical presence in Washington have substantial nexus with the state if they exceed $100,000 in annual retail sales to or 200 transactions with Washington consumers in the current or preceding year. Businesses who meet either threshold must register their business with the State, and collect and submit retail sales tax on their sales delivered to customers in Washington."

Doesn't sound like you qualify, which is why I said this was a mess and eBay seems to be paying taxes as though they are the seller even though their own help pages say it's your responsibility.

This isn't my area at all. As a buyer, I'm interested in the tax implications to me. I've avoided some purchases from California-based sellers for this reason, and it appears I may not longer have that option or it's going to be more complicated to figure out for all of us.

I'll point to eBay's other advice: "Our full policy below explains how and when eBay charges applicable taxes, and provides additional guidance on your tax obligations, but we recommend you talk with a tax professional if you have any questions."
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
361 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This just is not stopping although there is no legal reason it is as I posted in above postings:
Listing from tonight to a buyer in Washington State:
I'll ask again, you have to wonder if the buyers will be refunded?

Good Plus to Fine: PUPIENUS. 238 AD. Sestertius, Victory holding Wreath!
$212.50
Shipping and handling:$ 2.00
Sales tax: 8.50% Washington State
Order summary
Subtotal (1 item)$212.50
Shipping via USPS First Class Package$2.00
Sales tax:$18.23
Discount$0.00
Estimated total $232.73
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just spent more than an hour calculating my 4th quarter 2018 sales tax return, which included writing a check to my state department of revenue for the full 42 cents I collected in sales tax for in-state sales. Now I will use a 50 cent stamp to mail that 42 cent check to the state. Wouldn't bother me a bit if Ebay did it for me. Not a bit.
Edited by Kushanshah
01/10/2019 01:11 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1475 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It wouldn't bother me if eBay collected sales taxes correctly, but it sounds like they are collecting sales tax indiscriminately in some states, ignoring sales thresholds and the exemptions for coins. If they broaden this to other states over the next couple years, I hope they can refine their systems to take into account the rules of each state.
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but it sounds like they are collecting sales tax indiscriminately in some states, ignoring sales thresholds and the exemptions for coins

Agreed. Sounds like a class-action lawsuit waiting to happen.
Edited by Kushanshah
01/10/2019 01:40 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05