Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ancient India Gadhiya Indo Sassanian Coin - I Guess

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A well esteemed community member gifted me a peculiar looking silver ancient. Knowing full well that I collect mainly Romans, he has attempted to "broaden my horizons".

Ok so where to go? Well kinda of easy for me, I had my students search google for any ancients that somewhat match. Thirty well motivated(for a $2 purse) young minds went to work. Fifteen minutes later an Indo Sassanian Silver Drachm emerged.

Any other information about the coin would be appreciated - or if we're wrong let us know.
Thanks

Edited by travelcoin
01/09/2019 6:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3962 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn's the expert in this area. Until he - or others - chimes in, you might want to check this out:
http://goccf.com/t/280527
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1089 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a ..
India Gurjara Pratiharas silver drachm 780-980..
Obverse-Indo-Sasanian stylized crowned bearded head facing right, devanagari 'Sri ha'
Reverse-Stylized fire altar flanked by vertical strings of diamond-shaped beads.

First photo needs to turn 90 deg clockwise

But as Bob said Finn is the expert on this series and will be able to give you a breakdown..
Nice detective work from the youngsters!
Edited by Palouche
01/09/2019 7:35 pm
Learn More...
United States
21961 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say it is, but I agree Finn will know for sure.
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sure Finn will chime in, he challenged me on this one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3962 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Finn...challenged me on this one.

Oh, man. That's the stuff of nightmares there, the kind that would bolt me awake in a clammy sweat. Good luck, TC!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5334 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good detective work! It is indeed a Sri Ha dramma from northern India, late 1st millennium. Nobody knows nor will probably ever figure out exactly who minted these nor precisely when. They all have the letter "Sa" above the headdress, and Sri Ha in front of the bust, in a highly unusual, ornate script.

Maheshwari made a sketch of the type; not the most accurate but better than I could do:

Incidentally, I have recently gotten my grubby paws on the ancestor of this coin, in an earlier, more recognizable style.

I'm working on sorting out some rare variants, keeping it under wraps because I don't like sharing
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn, I will relay the information to my young detectives.

Thanks Everyone
Edited by travelcoin
01/10/2019 6:03 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05