Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Customs Fees From Us To Canada

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
448 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  1:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently purchased some numismatic items from a US-based seller. The items were shipped through UPS. I was surprised to find out that there was a $16 charge, in addition to the $23 shipping price, for customs release. The charge would have been $21 if I had waited to pay upon delivery instead of on the UPS website prior. This is the first time I have had to pay this. I'm not sure if it is because of the way it was shipped or size of the package or what. In the future is there any way to get around this?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Customs fees are almost always because of the value
Valued Member
Canada
448 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand, if the item is over $20, I would have to pay tax on the full value. Therefore if the value is $70 (what I paid), the tax would be 13% x 70 = $9.10. What is the remaining amount for?

Fortunately the new USMCA is bumping the exemption amount up to $150.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2724 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the difference is probably the brokerage fee.( handling). Canada post even has one, when they have to assess duties..
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16477 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Australia.

There was a period of decades, when I acquired coins from England. The business I was dealing with was a fully owned branch of an English company The coins were listed in England and were sent to Australia, where I examined them, before making an optional decision to buy.
British Value Added Tax (VAT) was not paid, because no purchase was made at that point. No Australian import taxes were paid, because the item was still fully owned by the company.
Transport Parcel fees were charged to me and added to my purchase price.

The coin pictured in my avatar was acquired in this way.
I have willed by collection to my kids. They won't be paying any taxes, save for auction fees. Australia doesn't charge death duties or estate taxes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5830 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2019  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cdncoins
I am sorry you had to pay for customs I checked with the guy at the UPS store and he said that the declared value was low enough not to require customs. I even used the customs code for books as suggested by UPS since they were used there should have been no other charges.
Richard Barnes
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Face Book https://www.facebook.com/Numismatic.Jewelry/
Valued Member
Canada
448 Posts
 Posted 01/16/2019  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not your fault Richard. At $20 Canada has one of the lowest exemption limits in the world. I'm used to receiving letter mail from the US rather than larger packages. It just caught me by surprise. The items I got from you are not sold in Canada. If I were to cross the border to buy the Dansco albums I would pay full retail plus state tax, then need to stay in the US for at least 24 hours or have to pay federal/provincial tax at the border on the way back in.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05