Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 D Penny - Verdigris & More!

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  4:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just for fun... After seeing some other postings of pennies with ooh-ing and aah-ing because they were some kind of rare variants I was blissfully unaware of, I'm posting something I just found in my pocket that's somewhat less boring than the new "shield" pennies that make me feel like things have gotten even more dystopian than I was afraid of. (I miss the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial pennies, which hardly show up any more.)

Is it un-rare enough to try some new cleaning methods? I have a bottle of Gojo citrus-based waterless hand cleaner, and Goo Gone, as well as acetone.

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely worth saving, keep us up to date.
Pillar of the Community
United States
753 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im curious just to see how "clean" you could make this coin. It'd be a good experiment with the various chemicals used.

Quote:
(I miss the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial pennies, which hardly show up any more.)

It baffles me when I see this all the time. I get tons of them here in Minnesota. (tons meaning anywhere from 10-20 per $25 box) I've been starting to think that a bunch must have been distributed to the Reserve in Minneapolis, just like how a bunch of the 09 nickels ended up in Puerto Rico.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is after a little acetone, rolled on with a q-tip.

There's something going on by the year. It must be an optical illusion, but it looks like something raised on the coin is coming out of Lincoln's chest.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Verdi-Care would seem a logical choice at this point.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2009 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This gives new meaning to "Crusty original"!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11439 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not hesitate to send it in .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mamastinky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be interesting to see the result after Verdi-Care, for sure. Just to see. If you don't already have some, you should just have some on-hand, either way.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17514 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why waste Verdi-Care on this?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15980 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why waste Verdi-Care on this?

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
01/25/2019 5:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2019  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add edthelorax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  02:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have Verdi-Care on hand, and not enough copper coins to justify getting some yet. All I have is pocket change and a bunch of pre-1982 pennies saved because they're each worth more than a penny, along with the older wheat pennies. I almost never find verdigris on a penny. The one I posted here is a real outlier for me. I happened to get another 1974 D at the same time, but that one was just very dirty. Maybe they had been lying around outdoors for a while, maybe lost in the snow and recovered the next spring.

Anyway, more photos to come; I found another waterless hand cleaner in the house, one with citrus cleaners and pumice, and I got a lot more cleaned off, to the point where the penny is now much more boring, and the details will now probably just say "cleaned using ill-advised methods." :)
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is after using an old bottle of Permatex Fast Orange with pumice and citrus cleaners (it now uses synthetic solvents that are neither petroleum nor citrus, and has a version without pumice). It also has aloe, glycerin, lanolin, and jojoba oil, obviously made with hands and not coins in mind. :)

The mark is still there by the year, and a soft pencil eraser didn't get rid of it, either. I could try some acetone next, and then one of those Mr. Clean white pads.

[UPDATE: neither acetone nor the white pad made much of a difference. That mark by the year is entrenched.]

Edited by Pauldog
01/26/2019 7:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else notice how much Lincoln's ear on this coin now resembles Mr. Spock's?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40469 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now we're making progress. Maybe have a go with Barkeeper's Friend before sending off to a TPG.
Valued Member
United States
325 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Barkeeper's Friend contains oxalic acid, so instead I used a reddish-brownish nylon scouring pad. (I think that's one grade milder than the thick black grill-scrubbing pads. I had already tried a worn mild pad, which seems safe even for glass, but it didn't remove the mark by the year.) In my defense I'll say that the pad had been pretty well-used, so it didn't scratch as much as a new one. And it did the job. I don't need to put up the picture; you've all sufferend enough. :)

It was all worth it to uncover those Spock ears. (Who would've known...?) A lot of entertainment for a penny, and that penny is still worth a little more than 1 because of the copper content.
Edited by Pauldog
01/27/2019 12:25 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05